Got a Broken 2009 MacBook

edited September 2015 in Hardware
I got a 2009 MacBook from my uncle's girlfriend, and she said she bought a new laptop because a year after her purchase, it began overheating and shutting down when it got too hot. She said she took it in to the repair shop, and that the report was that it had a broken logic board. She said she hadn't bought a new one because it costed more than the actual laptop had.
Since I've gotten it, I have yet to experience it shutting down at random, but I can feel the bottom heating up far too fast. The first time I tried to boot it, the apple logo was glitchy, and it took three more boots after that to make it to the desktop, and everything seems to be working smoothly in the OS. Nonetheless, I would like to get some Os recovery disks. I would like to be able to buy and replace this logic board for her.
Can somebody tell me if the logic board is the problem, and if so, how much I can expect to pay for one online?
I would also like to know where I can download the installation images for the OS.

Specs:
Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.11)
1.83 ghz Intel Core Duo
1gb 667mhz DDR2 SDRAM
60gb Macintosh HD

(I will try my best to provide more info if requested)

Comments

• Does it have a discrete GPU? That may be failing, and as such, will need a new board.

If not, there may be the simple possibility that it is just overheating and needs thermal paste replacement.
  • In the past 30 minutes, it's been getting worse. I'm not so sure about graphics, because now it won't boot. It's either getting stuck in an endless reboot or crashing before I can do anything of importance. I don't believe it has any special GPU, it might be something generic or built in. I'll try the thermal paste thing... right after I figure out how to open up the Macbook... and buy some thermal paste.
  • The GPU on those models it built into the logic board. The only thing you can do is replace the whole board, which is very expensive. It'll probably happen again in a month because this is a recurring problem with old MacBooks.
  • Chances are the GPU is releasing from the PCB. It can be fixed but it's not cheap. Some electronics engineers have had success on reflowing the board using a oven.

Because it is a Mac the motherboard is still costly.