Microsoft Surface Book Thoughts

edited November 2015 in Hardware
So apparently Microsoft is introducing the new Surface Book at the low, low cost of $1,500!

Seriously who in their right mind would want to waste their money on this.

I'm liking the hardware choices, i like the design, the amount of RAM is nice, 16GB in some models, i like the fact all models come with SSD's but man, a $1,500 starting price is ridiculous.

And the pricing of the flagship Surface book? over $3,000.

While there may be some people who think the cost is justified, i want to know your thoughts.

Comments

• I really don't think it's that overpriced for what you're getting. Its specs look pretty good considering its size and they did a great job with its design, I think its high price could be overlooked if a person had the money and desire to get one. For that base price of $1500 though, I would of liked to see a 256GB SSD standard instead of the 128GB it comes with.
  • psychobat wrote:
    I really don't think it's that overpriced for what you're getting. Its specs look pretty good considering its size and they did a great job with its design, I think its high price could be overlooked if a person had the money and desire to get one. For that base price of $1500 though, I would of liked to see a 256GB SSD standard instead of the 128GB it comes with.
    Yeah a larger SSD should be in there for that kind of money.

For it's size and design, while impressive, honestly i'm not sure if it even has a reason.

To be honest the entire Surface line seems slightly pointless to me. No one really ever uses them as laptop replacements as far as i'm concerned, i know no one who creates content on them and i certainly don't see myself producing my music on one of those. The only place i've really seen then used are in schools and perhaps work applications. You don't need to dish out $1,500 for that.
  • Skora wrote:
    For it's size and design, while impressive, honestly i'm not sure if it even has a reason.

I think somebody could make up a reason to justify the purchase if they wanted a surface book bad enough, though I could never justify one.
    psychobat wrote:
    To be honest the entire Surface line seems slightly pointless to me. No one really ever uses them as laptop replacements as far as i'm concerned, i know no one who creates content on them and i certainly don't see myself producing my music on one of those. The only place i've really seen then used are in schools and perhaps work applications. You don't need to dish out $1,500 for that.

I can kinda agree with you. I wouldn't call a Surface a laptop replacement, I would call it a laptop supplement. Something like a Surface (or any tablet in general) would probably be great for situations when it would be easier to take something more portable than a laptop, but bigger than a smartphone for doing basic tasks.
  • It certainly looks interesting and I'd love to play with one. I also like the docking port cable. But yeah, the price tag is a bit too high. I usually don't spend more than $700-$800 on a laptop.
  • As if the Mac or the Macbook were pricey enough. That's just way too steep, and would burn a hole in your pocket. The design's alright I guess.
  • The problem with the price point is that $1500 is WAY too high for a regular convertible laptop, regardless of the specs. Besides the fact that the design and concept, while interesting, is kinda pointless in terms of functionality. I can't see anyone other than geeks and nerds buying this. Considering that the cheapest MacBook Pro with similar specs costs $200 less, that including the Apple premium, it seems genuinely overpriced. The Surface Pro does pretty much the same for much cheaper.
  • It's a pretty cool laptop/tablet but the price is WAY too high. Heck, My main computer is an old IBM ThinkCentre and it's good enough for me! I don't need some more new fancy high tech that'll go obsolete by tomorrow!
  • I don't see the point of a Surface Book, honestly. You can build a computer for cheaper than the Surface Book.
  • I don't see the point of a Surface Book, honestly. You can build a computer for cheaper than the Surface Book.

I don't see the point of a DSLR, I can paint for less.

Apples to oranges. What a useless comparison.