Some things to do when restoring an old HP laptop?

edited November 2015 in Hardware
So I recently purchased an HP Compaq 6715b for cheap on eBay, and I thought it might be interesting to try to restore it since parts seem cheap and common for that model.

2F1Z8JT.jpg

Specs:

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60
2GB DDR2
80GB SATA HDD
ATI X1250 Integrated Graphics

I need a battery and a new hinge for it (There's a cracked hinge on it right now, and it has no battery). I also think it might be nice to upgrade it to 4GB RAM and maybe a 160GB HDD.

But, I want to know, is there anything specific I should do to restore it, or watch out for in this type of laptop?

Comments

• I had a similar model. The flat flex cable that goes to the media keys and the power button attend to wear out from heat since they rest on top of the CPU headsink. Order a few extras for just in case.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I had a similar model. The flat flex cable that goes to the media keys and the power button attend to wear out from heat since they rest on top of the CPU headsink. Order a few extras for just in case.

That's really bad design! Thanks for the tip though.
  • Almost want to say that's the same model I had in my signature below. I to this day have no idea what ever happened to it.
  • Edit: My old signature.

Link for reference.
    http://sigx.yuriy.net/images/xibmwarpster.png

I think that's the model that predated the one that I have...a Compaq NX or NC series (Forget the exact model, 6135 or something) laptop, or it could've also been a DV5000/DV8000
  • 6135 actually sounds about right
  • So I've been working on the laptop to replace the hinge, and I found the hinge in two pieces, the broaching nuts and the plastic they go into was broken, and just all sorts of stuff. I have no idea how the Screen survived, because it looks like when the hinge broke, it broke

Thankfully I was able to get the bolts back in with epoxy, but I'm not sure how well it'll hold. Hopefully it'll hold well enough to last however long I end up using the laptop for.
  • Tip:
    Be wary of BIOS updates from HP.
    I had a Compaq Presario V6000 given to me a few days ago. I had it running GREAT with some extra RAM I had from a dead V6000.
    I knew the HP/Compaq V6000 series (maybe just nVidia models, not sure) had problems with overheating and subsequent motherboard failure (hence why I had a dead one laying around!), so silly me trying to do the right thing updated the BIOS, assuming the latest would contain a fix.

The processor speed dropped from ~1.61Ghz to 803Mhz according to My Computer > Properties. The laptop was ruined - so much slower, especially on the net. Was really disappointed.

Lessons learnt:
    1) HP hardware and software is of dubious quality.
    2) If you ever update the BIOS, back up the old version and ensure it can be re-instated if all goes pear shaped.

Anyways, good luck. But be more careful than I was.
  • Do you have an Intel model? The update probably just enabled speedstep.

If you have an AMD model, it's not due to the BIOS update, but it's throttling from heat.

But I've already updated the BIOS on the 6715b...there was nothing to worry about because it's not a model that is famous for overheating and dieing
  • 66659hi wrote:
    Do you have an Intel model? The update probably just enabled speedstep.

If you have an AMD model, it's not due to the BIOS update, but it's throttling from heat.

But I've already updated the BIOS on the 6715b...there was nothing to worry about because it's not a model that is famous for overheating and dieing

My dead V6000 was an intel model. It only lasted a little over a year old before the motherboard fried. HP was no help, out of warranty as far as they were concerned, despite a fundamental design flaw being the cause!

The one given to me is an AMD model. The thing is though that it was running fine (not even hot!) before the BIOS update. Literally the first boot after the BIOS update it was much slower. My computer > properties confirmed a drop in the CPU speed - essentially a halving! Would have rather risked overheating.

Anyways good to hear you've had no trouble.
  • I know the feeling with those nVidia machines...I have a DV2715nr that is a defective model (although mine never died), but if it had ever died HP would've said it wasn't an affected model...the ones they recalled were defective, but some of the defective ones weren't recalled. (The DVx7xx wasn't recalled, and I'd have to think of the others that also weren't recalled)
  • 66659hi wrote:
    I know the feeling with those nVidia machines...I have a DV2715nr that is a defective model (although mine never died), but if it had ever died HP would've said it wasn't an affected model...the ones they recalled were defective, but some of the defective ones weren't recalled. (The DVx7xx wasn't recalled, and I'd have to think of the others that also weren't recalled)

Yep. To be honest I'm surprised there isn't more hate for HP out there. They seem like a prime candidate for a hate website or something. Whereas Dell, which I consider a very solid hardware manufacturer, with decent prices to boot, seems to put up with a fair bit.

Let's look at my reasons to hate HP so far:
    - Major design flaw in a number of their most popular models, with very little to no help for people affected (unless bound to by warranty)
    - They bought out Compaq and ruined one of the best brands in computing.
    - They pack their computers with utter shit bloatware programs which take hours to remove - no option to not install in the first place.
    - Manufacture aesthetically and functionally bland computers. HP doesn't have an innovative bone in their body. Maybe in the distant past, not now...

Anyways, enough complaining from me ...
  • 66659hi wrote:
    I know the feeling with those nVidia machines...I have a DV2715nr that is a defective model (although mine never died), but if it had ever died HP would've said it wasn't an affected model...the ones they recalled were defective, but some of the defective ones weren't recalled. (The DVx7xx wasn't recalled, and I'd have to think of the others that also weren't recalled)

Yep. To be honest I'm surprised there isn't more hate for HP out there. They seem like a prime candidate for a hate website or something. Whereas Dell, which I consider a very solid hardware manufacturer, with decent prices to boot, seems to put up with a fair bit.

- Major design flaw in a number of their most popular models, with very little to no help for people affected (unless bound to by warranty)
    - They pack their computers with utter shit bloatware programs which take hours to remove - no option to not install in the first place.
    - Manufacture aesthetically and functionally bland computers. HP doesn't have an innovative bone in their body. Maybe in the distant past, not now...

Most OEMs pack their systems with tons of bloatware. The only exceptions to this I've seen have been Dell's newer machines, which just come with some Dell Tools and McAffe

Toshiba is pretty bad in the bloatware department (I should know, I've owned three Toshibas with their factory images), HP is bad, but Lenovo I've found to be the worst. I don't know how people haven't started massively hating Lenovo after the Rootkit & Superfish Bullshit.

Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple...everybody had trouble with those nVidia GPUs. HP isn't the only one who didn't recall all of their models affected.

Compaq's good design still lives on in the HP Compaq Desktops, and Elitebook along with ProBook laptops. The Presarios were never good machines, the good Compaqs you remember were the business grade machines.

Most brands that aren't Apple don't do any sort of innovation either.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    66659hi wrote:

Most OEMs pack their systems with tons of bloatware. The only exceptions to this I've seen have been Dell's newer machines, which just come with some Dell Tools and McAffe

Toshiba is pretty bad in the bloatware department (I should know, I've owned three Toshibas with their factory images), HP is bad, but Lenovo I've found to be the worst. I don't know how people haven't started massively hating Lenovo after the Rootkit & Superfish Bullshit.

Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple...everybody had trouble with those nVidia GPUs. HP isn't the only one who didn't recall all of their models affected.

Compaq's good design still lives on in the HP Compaq Desktops, and Elitebook along with ProBook laptops. The Presarios were never good machines, the good Compaqs you remember were the business grade machines.

True, I suppose my beef is with most PC manufacturers more generally. I bought a Toshiba right after my Compaq's death. Reliable machine hardware-wise but otherwise generic, clunky and noisy, poor battery life.

When I bought my Macbook Air 2 years ago, it was seriously like going forward into the future about 10 years, maybe more. Hardware wise and software wise.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    66659hi wrote:

True, I suppose my beef is with most PC manufacturers more generally. I bought a Toshiba right after my Compaq's death. Reliable machine hardware-wise but otherwise generic, clunky and noisy, poor battery life.

When I bought my Macbook Air 2 years ago, it was seriously like going forward into the future about 10 years, maybe more. Hardware wise and software wise.

I'm not a big Apple fan, but I do have to admit, their hardware is pretty good, even though I wasn't a fan of the old White MacBooks, the MacBook Pros and Airs are decent, although the MacBook Airs get pretty hot.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop (Core i3, 4GB RAM) that I use as my daily driver laptop, even though I have a few more powerful laptops, such as a Thinkpad T420. It actually has a pretty nice, big battery, and a decent-sized 16" screen that puts out good color. The speakers are also nice. The reason I use it instead of other laptops is because I use laptops primarily for entertainment purposes, I do all of my work on my desktop. It doesn't get used for anything other than playing Movies, TV Shows, checking Email, and music, and some web browsing. It's a good laptop, but there are certainly better machines out there
  • 66659hi wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    66659hi wrote:

I'm not a big Apple fan, but I do have to admit, their hardware is pretty good, even though I wasn't a fan of the old White MacBooks, the MacBook Pros and Airs are decent, although the MacBook Airs get pretty hot.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop (Core i3, 4GB RAM) that I use as my daily driver laptop, even though I have a few more powerful laptops, such as a Thinkpad T420. It actually has a pretty nice, big battery, and a decent-sized 16" screen that puts out good color. The speakers are also nice. The reason I use it instead of other laptops is because I use laptops primarily for entertainment purposes, I do all of my work on my desktop. It doesn't get used for anything other than playing Movies, TV Shows, checking Email, and music, and some web browsing. It's a good laptop, but there are certainly better machines out there

Looked up your laptop, looks just like my old one- In fact, I think it may be the same model. I remember it was a Core i3 as well. I gave it to my dad, I think it's still alive and being used.

Macbook Airs hot? Really? I have a mid-2013 13" and I don't find that at all, in fact I've always thought how remarkable it is that it's almost always at room temperature and that I almost never hear the fan.
  • The exact model of my Toshiba is an A665-S6086 if you want to see if they're the same machines.

My mom has a Mid-2013 or Mid-2012 11" that gets pretty hot, and I've seen a few others that run hot also. I think Apple just isn't very great at cooling laptops, I've never had an Apple laptop that stayed cool and didn't overheat.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    The exact model of my Toshiba is an A665-S6086 if you want to see if they're the same machines.

My mom has a Mid-2013 or Mid-2012 11" that gets pretty hot, and I've seen a few others that run hot also. I think Apple just isn't very great at cooling laptops, I've never had an Apple laptop that stayed cool and didn't overheat.

A6-something rings a bell, maybe not exactly the same model no. but undoubtedly the same series.