Christmas Eve Thrift Store Finds

edited January 2016 in Hardware
Decided to stop in a couple thrift stores since I had some errands to run and they weren't out of my way, ended up finding a couple interesting things.

At the first thrift store, found this pretty nice early 2000's Mitsubishi/NEC DiamondPoint NX86 LCD monitor. The panel itself is about 3 1/4" thick and it has a good bit of weight to it, paid like $13 for it. It has both a soft power switch on the front and a hard power switch on the side, I was also a little bit surprised to see it had both VGA and DVI inputs considering its age. Main reason I bought it is because my current testing monitor is a late '90's Hitatchi CRT and it's a pain to move around. I'll probably end up giving the old one away on Craigslist since the picture is still sharp and I really don't have the room to keep it. I also snapped a picture of the front and thickness of the new monitor.

At the other thrift store, there wasn't really any interesting for electronics (other than a cordless phone set for $2), but I did find this nice keurig machine for like $4. Always wanted one of those and now I've finally got one.

The last thing I picked up wasn't a thrift store find but given to me by my grandfather. I was at his house dropping off some Christmas presents and he asked me if I wanted something he found while he was cleaning his upstairs. To my surprise, it was the Bose sound bar he bought a few years ago, used for maybe a couple months, and put it in his attic because he didn't like it. He still had it in its original box and the unit itself doesn't even have a scratch on it. Pretty nice unit overall, though I've got to figure out how to lower the bass on it (since I have no manual for it).

Comments

• Cool finds sir.
    Some late CRT monitors had DVI support but really sucked and mostly only used Analog signals.

Hope the sound bar isn't rated for 1ohm or you can blow it easily. A power resistor works well to fix that problem.
  • At a generic Texas Thrift Store, I found a Windows 95 Training Kit complete with CDs and books for around $20
  • At a generic Texas Thrift Store, I found a Windows 95 Training Kit complete with CDs and books for around $20
    Any chance of uploading that?
    Any chance of uploading that?

Didn't buy it sadly, but it would've been neat adding it to WinWorld's library.
  • Over at a goodwill store a bit up north in Texas, I found a small 10 pack box of 5 1/4 inch Floppies by 3M, all are in pristine condition and even come with the labels and write protection stickers, and at another local thrift store, I picked up a 7 pack of Iomega ZIP discs and plenty of 3.5 inch floppies and even some that were see through.