Problem with BIOS error.

edited February 2016 in Hardware
Hello, I have just recently installed Debian 8 on my old emachines computer. For this install I had to add a network card and an additional 256 MB RAM to the system. The machine has an Intel Celeron Processor. It booted up fine for about a month until last week when it gave me this prompt:
WARNING
ERROR
resource conflict- PCI in slot 01
  Bus:01, Device: 0E, Function:00
It displays f1 to continue and del to see setup. If I press f1 debian boots up as normal. My question is how do I fix this problem?

Comments

• It probably has something to do with the network card. Remove it and see if that works, and then put it back in. It also may be that the BIOS is improperly configured for a different piece of hardware you added.
  • Some BIOSes have an option to reset and manage PCI/ISA resource information. See if the BIOS has such an option.

Also, the default resources assigned to PCI devices are, annoyingly, slot-specific. So try moving it to a different slot and see if that helps.
  • Switched the Ethernet card to the next available port, and the same error occurred. There are a total 3 slots that my computer has. And one is taken up by a network card with only 2 phone line ports. I have tried to reset the bios information and even changed the BIOS operating system to other, but still no use. Its wired cause the bios has an option to change the video card from PCI to AGI or something similar...
  • What network card did you add to the system? Maybe the mobo has some undiscovered problem with it. Also, what year is this computer from?
  • I can't really identify the network card nor do I know where to look for identification. So here are some pictures for you to see. My computer is about 17-16 years old. So the year is around 1999-2000.
  • That looks like a standard Realtek based network card. They were sold under many brands, but all hardware compatible.

What about the modem card? Does it still give that error when that is pulled out?
  • There is no error when the modem card is pulled out. Even if I reset the start up config, its still boots up fine.
  • Well, then just leave the modem out. Since it is PCI, it certainly a "winmodem". Those things were %120 pure lobotomized garbage even when they were new.
  • Thank you Someguy. That actually fixed the problem, I just tested the network card in the system with out the modem card. It brings up no errors. So thank you all for helping.
  • My gut feeling is you're running out of room for IRQs. I imagine if you insert another device it'll do the same thing. Consider disabling on-board HW if you need to use the remaining slots and you get this problem.
  • ampharos wrote:
    My gut feeling is you're running out of room for IRQs. I imagine if you insert another device it'll do the same thing. Consider disabling on-board HW if you need to use the remaining slots and you get this problem.
    Thats what I think to, but this is mostly going to be running as a small desktop server. That and I don't really have any plans to add more cards to this particular system.