Were there ever any 3rd party apps for Visi On?

edited March 2016 in Software
ToastyTech.com writes:
ToastyTech wrote:
A very interesting feature of Visi On is the way it was designed. It was designed to be portable to other OSes such as CP/M or Unix, or to other CPUs besides the 8086. It did this by providing a kind of non machine specific "virtual machine" (called the Visi Machine) that all applications were written for. Only the very core of Visi On (called the Visi Host) was machine specific.

Applications were developed in "Visi C", a fairly restricted subset of C designed for maximum portability. The development environment was Unix based and included a non-graphical version of the Visi-Host that let portions of Visi-On applications be run and tested on Unix.

Sounds kind of like Java or .Net doesn't it?

Unfortunately, aside from the incomplete Visi Host included with the development software, Visi On was never ported to any other platform besides IBM PC compatibles running MS-DOS.

Another unique aspect of Visi On was that outside developers were encouraged to write applications for Visi On. At the time many companies tried to keep tight control on there development environments, but anyone with enough money and a Unix system could purchase a copy of the Visi On development environment.

So my question is, were there ever any 3rd party apps designed for Visi On (ie, not made by VisiCorp)? It would be nice if someone could dump the Visi On "SDK" so we could see how apps would have been made for it.

It seems that a platform like Visi On would have at least one application made for it, especially considering that VisiCorp encouraged 3rd party developers.

Has anyone seen any?

Comments

• There was no 3rd party apps for Visi On.
  • emmanual wrote:
    There was no 3rd party apps for Visi On.
    Source? I'm sure someone made apps for it at some point. There were even apps for Windows 1.0, so I don't see why another platform would have something similar.

EDIT: 200th post!