Issue on MacOs files

edited May 2016 in Site Issues
All files for MacOs classic is corrupted and useless... MacOs use resource fork, if you pack it with 7z (with other os) you lose the resource fork and the files is irreparably damaged. Please fix or remove all files (almost all macos systems images)

Comments

• List? Inside of the 7z, they should be safe inside of a disk image, disc image, archive, or BinHex/MacBinary.
  • I have cleaned a number of files like that before, and I am sure there are more out there. Please list specifically which ones you see that have this issue.

Keep in mind that on Winworld, we use raw sector disk or ISO images. We do not normally store Macintosh SIT files, as it is excessively difficult to get these in to a real Macintosh environment where they can be processed.

Many of these disks were originally in SIT files and a long time ago someone did a mass conversion not realizing that some formats (Apple DiskCopy NDIF) become useless without the resource fork data.
  • ampharos wrote:
    List? Inside of the 7z, they should be safe inside of a disk image, disc image, archive, or BinHex/MacBinary.

All Mac os (systems) I have tried to download... (8.0 8.1 8.5 8.6 ecc...) all archives with .img inside. Archives with .iso is good.

On the Mac .img extension is for diskcopy application but the only .img file is not sufficient for use it. On the Mac .img have a fork and resource files (hidden) without this files .img is trash.... 7z is not available on Macos classic, for compress on 7z the user must move the file on other system (windows, linux or osx) with this operation the resource fork is lost. The only way to have working macos files is use stuffit (.sit)

Sorry for my poor english :)
  • IMG are raw sector images. They are not for use that way.

You either mount them in an emulator, or you write them to a real disk.

1.44mb disk images may be written with WinImage, even with a crappy USB floppy drive.

800K images may be written with a Kryoflux tool.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    IMG are raw sector images. They are not for use that way.

You either mount them in an emulator, or you write them to a real disk.

1.44mb disk images may be written with WinImage, even with a crappy USB floppy drive.

800K images may be written with a Kryoflux tool.

On windows or linux... On the Mac (classic) is different. I have tried all (diskcopy, all emulators, osx, magiciso, transmac ecc...) without a success

Read this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/455215?start=0&
  • It is the Diskcopy NDIF files that are a problem. An easy way to tell is that all Macintosh floppy disk images should be 400k, 800k, or 1.44mb in size. If there are anything other than that, then they are probably an NDIF file, which is no good here.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    It is the Diskcopy NDIF files that are a problem. An easy way to tell is that all Macintosh floppy disk images should be 400k, 800k, or 1.44mb in size. If there are anything other than that, then they are probably an NDIF file, which is no good here.

NDIF file have many dimensions... Try for example this file: https://winworldpc.com/download/3E84FC9B-18DA-11E4-99E5-7054D21A8599

Is a NDIF file of 194mb but is totally useless because not have resource fork. The uploader have compressed only the .img file with 7z, the correct procedure is compress the image with stuffit before use another compressor.

The many other file have the same problem (all I have tried)
  • You are correct. I have verified that CD image is corrupt, and I have removed it from the download list.

Like this file, it was possible to store CDs or hard drive volumes in Diskcopy NDIF. And without the resource fork, they are useless.

The correct procedure for files on WinWorld is to dump CDs as a standard ISO.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    You are correct. I have verified that CD image is corrupt, and I have removed it from the download list.

Like this file, it was possible to store CDs or hard drive volumes in Diskcopy NDIF. And without the resource fork, they are useless.

The correct procedure for files on WinWorld is to dump CDs as a standard ISO.

Yes, Iso are good, but the ones I tried not they bootable... I do not know if it is the fault of the format.
  • Glancing through a couple more, I think you may be right that almost ALL of the foreign language versions might be corrupt in this manner.

Honestly, I had never looked at the foreign versions before, and nobody had mentioned them before except for one or two specific ones.

I'll glance through them and remove corrupt ones as time permits.

If anyone has any original copies of foreign language MacOS 8.x, please re-dump them and contribute them!