windows 95

edited June 2016 in Software
I have a windows 95 disc from back in the day and it will not work to install the os on DOS nor will it work not to install its self on VPC 2007 on windows xp. any help will be thanked

Comments

• It would be better if you explain why it won't work. Saying just your problem and begging a solution without further information won't get you anywhere.
  • Dos says can not read drive A:/ IT shows up on windows 98
  • Like, what are you trying to do? If I'm correct, I believe Windows 95 isn't bootable. If I'm also correct, you should be able to either use an old computer or a VM (I highly recommend VMWare Workstation Player, which is free if you look in the downloads page on their website) to install DOS on it, and upgrade from there. Unless you somehow get your CD to be bootable, but then again I know so little about this so I'm not very sure.
  • i use windows 98 boot cd
  • Is it an upgrade version of Win 95? Most disks sold were and required a minimum of Windows 3.0 on top of DOS before it would install.

What error message are you getting in DOS?
  • Try just booting from the floppy disk, as booting from a windows 98 CD does weird things. It basically "emulates" a floppy disk with various things on it, such as fdisk. Doing this makes it impossible to read a floppy disk in a drive as it is reading the "emulated" disk instead
  • Tronky wrote:
    Is it an upgrade version of Win 95? Most disks sold were and required a minimum of Windows 3.0 on top of DOS before it would install.

What error message are you getting in DOS?
    unable to read drive A:/ on virtual pc
  • What disc is your Windows 95? If memory serves me correct, only OSR2.1 and later Windows 95 discs were bootable natively, otherwise you'd need the boot floppy (which if memory serves me correct again, we carry).
  • What disc is your Windows 95? If memory serves me correct, only OSR2.1 and later Windows 95 discs were bootable natively, otherwise you'd need the boot floppy (which if memory serves me correct again, we carry).
    its for a new PC Disc
  • Most Windows 95 CDs are not bootable. The reason being that common computers did not reliably support CD booting at that time.

To install Windows 95, you boot from a floppy disk with CD-ROM drivers. For most emulators you may use this Windows 98SE boot floppy: https://winworldpc.com/product/microsof ... -boot-disk

Then make sure your hard disk is partitioned and formated. Note that you must use FAT16, not FAT32 unless you are using Win95 OSR2 or later.

Then run setup.exe from the \win95 directory on your CD.
  • well i got good and bad news i fixed it but i get windows protection error
  • I installed the following Windows 95 on PCEM with 486 BIOS (RAM 64KB)

Windows 95 Retail Full (3.5")
    Windows 95 Retail Upgrade (5.25")

All of the media is 3.5" or 5.25" floppy disk (Not CD-ROM)
    It works well,
  • Windows 95 has multiple issues on faster computer that will result in a protection fault at startup. Look for the file "fix95cpu_v3_final.zip". You have to run this from a boot floppy before running the second phase of Windows 95 setup, and it will apply the appropriate patches.
    Also you have to limit Windows 95 to about 900MB of RAM or less.

Although I thought most VMs had workarounds for that. Perhaps they dropped those.