IBM PS/1 on the internet....because I'm that bored

Hello all,

I was messing around with my PS/1 today and was able to get it onto the internet. I used a basic ISA Ethernet/Coax network card, and connected it to my Win7 Pentium 4 HT system as a WiFi to Ethernet adapter of sorts. However, if I had a long enough CAT5 cable, I could have directly plugged it into my router without a problem. Here's a "screenshot" of 2016 Google being rendered in IE5.5 (the computer has a 486SX so I stuck with Win95).
NtVlfWTm.jpg

Thanks for reading, I'd love to answer any questions anybody has!
TheWalkingContradiction

Comments

• Hello all,

I was messing around with my PS/1 today and was able to get it onto the internet. I used a basic ISA Ethernet/Coax network card, and connected it to my Win7 Pentium 4 HT system as a WiFi to Ethernet adapter of sorts. However, if I had a long enough CAT5 cable, I could have directly plugged it into my router without a problem. Here's a "screenshot" of 2016 Google being rendered in IE5.5 (the computer has a 486SX so I stuck with Win95).
    NtVlfWTm.jpg

TheWalkingContradiction

How in gods name did you get Windows 7 to do Internet sharing? I really need this right about now.
  • Right click on network adapter -> Properties -> Sharing.

As easy as that. Makes W7 work as a router/DHCP server. Sure, there are also other implementations - this is the easiest one.

-milo
  • Or you can just highlight both connections, right click and bridge the connection. Then you won't be double NAT'ing.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Or you can just highlight both connections, right click and bridge the connection. Then you won't be double NAT'ing.
    Actually thats what I did. It works pretty well considering the ISA network card in my PS/1 is only capable of 10Mbps.
  • Hello all,

NtVlfWTm.jpg

TheWalkingContradiction

I don't know if you're aware, but in order to use some form of internet connection sharing, you need a crossover cable. Straight-through won't work.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Or you can just highlight both connections, right click and bridge the connection. Then you won't be double NAT'ing.

I literally did not know what bridging the adapters meant until just now. This is really helpful since the machine I'm trying to share from is Windows XP and not 7.