sound card problem

edited June 2016 in Hardware
I have a old slot 1 motherboard running at 450mhz with 64mb of memory and it's a p3 cpu.. It's a asus p2b and i get a buzzing sound in my speakers. The audio card is a ess 1938 with a built in amplifier where i have my head phones plug into. I can hear the cd-rom in them and if i listening to music and click on something else to start up the music skips even with mp3. The sound card is pci and network card is to. the video card is agp. I have a isa sound card and is didn't buzz or nothing. It played music just find. the pic sound card will only work in the 3rd pci slot down any other pci slot windows 98 won't find it. I like to get the pci one working but if i have to put isa sound blaster 16 back in i will. Thanks for the help i get.

Comments

• I have a old slot 1 motherboard running at 450mhz with 64mb of memory and it's a p3 cpu.. It's a asus p2b and i get a buzzing sound in my speakers. The audio card is a ess 1938 with a built in amplifier where i have my head phones plug into. I can hear the cd-rom in them and if i listening to music and click on something else to start up the music skips even with mp3. The sound card is pci and network card is to. the video card is agp. I have a isa sound card and is didn't buzz or nothing. It played music just find. the pic sound card will only work in the 3rd pci slot down any other pci slot windows 98 won't find it. I like to get the pci one working but if i have to put isa sound blaster 16 back in i will. Thanks for the help i get.

This is probably a result of the onboard amplifier or your speakers experiencing some kind of interference. The ESS card is probably not shielded correctly, and as a result you get this kind of buzzing noise from your speakers.

Try another (known good) pair of speakers before you ditch this card, or try checking your drivers.
  • The drivers is the last ones they made for this sound card. I tried few speakers i had and i get the same thing. It's most likely the card ain't shielded right.
  • The ISA card, is it a true SoundBlaster 16 or a clone? Either way, SB16 was the standard sound card for a long time, with good reason. Unless you don't have another ISA port and really need it for something else, go with the SB16, you can't go wrong.
  • it's a real sound blaster sound card. I have two free isa slots left.
  • it's a real sound blaster sound card. I have two free isa slots left.

Do you need the ISA slots for anything else? Is there any other reason for using the new card instead of the SoundBlaster?

The SoundBlaster is a much nicer card by comparison, so I agree that unless you have some other, more important use for it, then you should use the SoundBlaster.

Quick question, why does the buzzing annoy you? My PowerMac also does this and I'm curious as to why you can't have this noise.
  • I am going to put the isa sound card back in. I figure i would use a pci sound card since pci is a faster bus then isa. The buzzing sound just annoy me because i like to listen to music nice and pure. I have two other pci sound blaster cards. One a sound baster 5.1 and the other is sound blaster audigy LS. My friend wants me to put the audigy LS in the computer but i told him i putting the sound blaster 16 back in. Thanks for the help.
  • I am going to put the isa sound card back in. I figure i would use a pci sound card since pci is a faster bus then isa. The buzzing sound just annoy me because i like to listen to music nice and pure. I have two other pci sound blaster cards. One a sound baster 5.1 and the other is sound blaster audigy LS. My friend wants me to put the audigy LS in the computer but i told him i putting the sound blaster 16 back in. Thanks for the help.

The bus speed probably wouldn't be very beneficial to an audio card anyways, unless you're playing back some ridiculous audio file (96khz, 512kbp/s, etc).

No problem, glad to be of help.
  • I put the sound blaster audigy LS in there and works just beautiful. There no buzzing or anything. Thank you again for the help.
  • I put the sound blaster audigy LS in there and works just beautiful. There no buzzing or anything. Thank you again for the help.

No problem, glad to help out!