How come Rhapsody has an x86 architecture, but 10.0-3 don't?

edited August 2016 in Software
Exactly what it says on the tin. It's confusing to me at least, because Rhapsody is earlier than the official builds of OSX.

Comments

• It is specifically due to Apple's business model at the time. OS X is only for Macintosh computers and all Macs used PowerPC CPU's. There was a longstanding rumor of 'marklar', or OS X on Intel, which was verified when Apple moved to the Intel platform for their hardware. There were versions before 10.4 that were compiled for Intel, but never left Apple HQ.
  • A better question is why there were those two public x86 rhapsody builds at all.

NeXT was trying to get out of the hardware market, and as a result ported NextStep/OpenStep to a variety of hardware platforms. Presumably when Apple came along and decided to use it as their new OS the developers just continued the multi-plaform momentum until a little later when the official word came down that Apple would only support PPC.

It would have made some sense for them to continue Rhapsody/OS X on commodity Intel systems at least as a server OS. But that is not the Apple way. And that was right after Steve got back on board too.
  • I could be wrong on this, but whats interesting is that Apple has released the kernel Darwin for both PPC and Intel since 10.1. It;s last release is equivalent to 10.5 or 10.4...
  • It would sure be neat if those pre-Transition builds of OS X were to finally get leaked.
  • Especially if Rosetta existed. That would be SO fun to play with on a VM. I've used every version of OS X and I still like Jaguar the best appearance wise.. would be really fun to give it a modern PC to play with. :3