LightDims: battle burn-out-your-retina blue LEDs!

edited August 2016 in Hardware
So I was at Microcenter earlier and noticed this is an actual thing: http://www.lightdims.com/store.htm

Yea, it is a semi-translucent set of stickers you can plop over retardedly bright LEDs.

It really tells you that something is wrong with this world when moronic product designs creates a market for a workaround like this.

On the other hand, it is good to know I'm not actually the only one who can't stand rape-your-eye-socket bright blue LEDs. Can't imagine they would sell too well around here though, people here seem to love having their Chinese-sludge-beacons rammed all the way in to their visual cortex.

Comments

• On at least one of my machines I took the front cover off and put masking tape over the LEDs to dim it. On my old IBM PS/2 I stuffed a handkerchief in front of the system speaker to muffle it too...
  • I've used near on a roll of black electrical insulating tape covering up standby LEDs on equipment at my place. The worst I came across though was my Blu-ray player where the LED was next to the IR receiver, so I couldn't easily cover it up. I ended up taking the thing apart and de-soldering one leg of the two colour LED.
  • On at least one of my machines I took the front cover off and put masking tape over the LEDs to dim it. On my old IBM PS/2 I stuffed a handkerchief in front of the system speaker to muffle it too...

Just move the speaker, the thick walls of a PS/2 will insulate anything.
  • I do find the super bright blue LEDs to be annoying some times, but until recently I never felt the need to cover them up.

The relative positions of my bed and my desktop wound up making it so that the bright blue power and hard drive LEDs on my desktop (the only lighting this case even has) would shine directly at my face when I'm trying to sleep... it wasn't a problem until I got black out curtains. Once the ambient light in my room was reduced dramatically, it became a lot more noticeable... like staring into a blue sun. So I wound up putting black electrical tape over the LEDs. Less ghetto solution would have been to simply disconnect them, but I was far too lazy for that.
  • Was at the car dealer today, and I couldn't help but shoot this for you SomeGuy:

image.jpg

Yes, it means what it says. The monitor had some fairly dim blue LEDs.