Attempting to upgrade a PII machine

edited August 2016 in Hardware
I find myself in a confusing situation. I bought one of those socket 370 to slot 1 adapters (slotket) on ebay, and I tried to upgrade an old PII machine by using a Celeron and an old heat sink I had laying around, and I made sure the bus speed were the same and whatnot. When I powered the machine back on, everything appeared to be running, but there was nothing on screen, so I turn it off and tried to swap the original PII back in, but it won't even turn on.

I've tried clearing the CMOS but it doesn't appear to do anything. The machine only turns on when the slotket is inserted, and when I set the jumpers on the motherboard to "recovery' mode, The machine will beep after turning on, although nothing will display on screen, and then it will make 1 long beep and three short ones.

I've already searched beep error codes (The machine has a Phoenix BIOS if I remember correctly), although I don't them are what I'm getting.

It was really difficult to get the PII off at first so I may have damaged it, maybe I'm not clearing the CMOS correctly, or I've ruined my mobo somehow. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

P.S. The original cpu is a 300Hz Pentium II Klamath and what I'm trying to replace it with is a 500Hz Celeron Mendocino.
The mobo is an Intel E139761 or at least that's what it says on the lower right side.

Comments

• I ran into the same thing before. Your motherboard may not support p3 cpu and slot one to 370 adapters. Mine did the same thing and i ended up throwing the motherboard out because the adapter burn the motherboard up. Some motherboards the adapter don't work at all. The motherboard got to say p2/p3 cpu. it's will tell you in the manual for the motherboard if it will handle p3 cpu. So i hope i help.
  • 1 long and 3 short beeps sounds like an Award BIOS code. In this case, it means it did not detect a video card or the video card itself is bad.