Why is Win Longhorn here?

edited October 2016 in Software
XP isn't here, (no I'm not requesting XP) but why is Longhorn? Since it uses 2k3 code, it should be compatible with every app thats compatible with Server 2k3 - which is fairly new - That's Pre-Reset.
And Post-Reset, every new thing should be compatible with it right? I'm not too sure, but I'm just curious.

Comments

• Because it was already here from ages ago.

Since they are just crufty betas, I wouldn't exactly call them "compatible" with anything.
  • So it's pretty much abandonware?
  • Yes, it is abandonware because the project is no longer in use or maintained. It was left a long time ago. Think, Windows Vista, what Longhorn became, arrived in 2006, 10 years ago.
  • It is here, because it is beta. WinWorld hosts abandonware software and betas. Windows XP is not here, because many products, based on XP is still supported, like Windows XP Embedded, POS 2009, Embedded Standard 2009 etc.
  • Kurtisdede wrote:
    XP isn't here, (no I'm not requesting XP) but why is Longhorn? Since it uses 2k3 code, it should be compatible with every app thats compatible with Server 2k3 - which is fairly new - That's Pre-Reset.
    And Post-Reset, every new thing should be compatible with it right? I'm not too sure, but I'm just curious.
    What I want to ask is where are the Windows 7 betas, or Windows 8/8.1 betas.
  • For one thing, too new really. And in my opinion, they are not at all historically significant so they don't really belong on this site. With an additional issue that more recent stuff is really just free advertising for Microsoft. Besides, if you want an archive of behduhs, there is another site dedicated to that. (Anyone with 10 terabytes of Windows 10 betas has a serious problem)
  • Well, Vista betas have slight interest considering how fucked up the development was.
  • It is here, because it is beta. WinWorld hosts abandonware software and betas. Windows XP is not here, because many products, based on XP is still supported, like Windows XP Embedded, POS 2009, Embedded Standard 2009 etc.

exactly true
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    For one thing, too new really. And in my opinion, they are not at all historically significant so they don't really belong on this site. With an additional issue that more recent stuff is really just free advertising for Microsoft. Besides, if you want an archive of behduhs, there is another site dedicated to that. (Anyone with 10 terabytes of Windows 10 betas has a serious problem)

i would agree with the 10 terabyte statement but part of it is right because for 1 it is not too old so your right about that and 2 they can still belong on the site because of this/these:

(1) thats the only beta/alpha windows version where they fucked up at so its a special version/dickie version

(2) its probably only here because people request it