A few suggestions for WinBoards

edited September 2016 in Site Issues
After being banned from Cemetech, I decided to make a WinBoards account. Despite the fact that WinBoards is a forum with better rules and thus no cyber-abuse (defending myself from misbehaving high-rank members got me banned from Cemetech in the first place), I have found that WinBoards lacks some features that Cemetech has. First of all, WinBoards needs a chat widget for easy chatting with online members. Second,WinBoards lacks the easy forum navigation and thread finding that Cemetech has. Last, but not least, WinBoards needs a repository for all kinds of user-made software (in the case of of Cemetech it was 99% calculator software).

Best regards,
pcgeek

Comments

• 1: We have an IRC channel, although I don't use that myself.
    2: Navigation seems fine to me. Search isn't great, but generally old buried threads are that way for a reason. Either way, that isn't probably isn't changing.
    3: We generally don't do user-made software here. And if there were, it would go in the library with everything else.
  • pcgeek wrote:
    First of all, WinBoards needs a chat widget for easy chatting with online members. Second,WinBoards lacks the easy forum navigation and thread finding that Cemetech has. Last, but not least, WinBoards needs a repository for all kinds of user-made software (in the case of of Cemetech it was 99% calculator software).
    Navigation doesn't need to be changed here. It's fine the way it is, and it is actually quite the standard with other forums in terms of navigation. For user-made stuff, it would be nice if there was a little acceptance in user made applications. Like to show case them on the forum, not to post them up for download.

Thats all I have to say about this.
  • Member made software can go right in that programming forum (hint, hint, as local mod)
  • Ok, but I just have to get used to the navigation system on WinBoards. :)
    Also, I get a bad gateway (502) message when attempting to log off. That makes me have to hit the refresh button.
  • pcgeek wrote:
    Ok, but I just have to get used to the navigation system on WinBoards. :)
    Also, I get a bad gateway (502) message when attempting to log off. That makes me have to hit the refresh button.
    If you don't like it don't use it. Why should a new member challenge a tried-and-tested layout that doesn't really need changing?

Offtopic: what happened to the "new" WinWorld that was coming? Has that been cancelled or still in development?
  • 1607 wrote:
    Offtopic: what happened to the "new" WinWorld that was coming? Has that been cancelled or still in development?
    If I must reveal to what Stitch told me months ago (when I PM'd him about it), the project is more or less cancelled. There has been no further word since its announcement near the end of last year.
  • I really don't know what Cemetech is but frankly advertising how you were banned isin't really a great idea. This seems like you got banned, came here for some unknown reason and want to shape it into the place you got banned from. The structure is of standard forum structure and is not that hard to figure out. We have a programming forum now, if you want to show off some application you can do it there and host it yourself somewhere.

Either way this is not a site issue.
    folder_lock.gif
This discussion has been closed.