Replaced processor in IBM thinkpad 380xd and now an issue

edited October 2016 in Hardware
I replaced the processor on the ibm thinkpad 380xd from the original 233 mhz pentium mmx to the 333 mhz pentium II , and now it it does a continuous beep, which i know which means system board failure. Is the faster processor causing an issue with the computer not wanting to boot? Is there something wrong with the processor module? Or is the processor most likely not compatible with the computer at all? Wouldn't the computer still boot even if the processor wasn't compatible? And also the pentium II option came out after a bios revision to this computer , and i have the older bios revision that came out before the Pentium II option came out, Would I possibly need to do a bios update to the computer for it to recognize the processor, if this processor should be compatible? Give me all possible things that i can do to get the processor module working in this computer.

Comments

• Just because it's a pentium 2 doesn't mean all pentium 2's can be popped in and be expected to work.
    Check the specs of the original inside, and make sure things like bus speed are the same.

Better yet, the highest cpu I think that thing could take is a 266mhz MMX.

If you're planning to get rid of those old p2's, don't toss them.
    PM me.
  • Just because it's a pentium 2 doesn't mean all pentium 2's can be popped in and be expected to work.
    Check the specs of the original inside, and make sure things like bus speed are the same.

PM me.

This laptop model uses mmc1 processor cards, and mmc1 cards, all have the same fsb which is 66 mhz , which anyone would think any processor would work. and there was a website that did say any processor model should work.

This model came in like 4 configuration, it came in a pentium mmx 233 mhz and 266 mhz, and than a pentium II with 233 mhz and 266 mhz, I have the pentium mmx 233 mhz version, I believe a pentium II mmx 266 mhz should work in this machine, but i wanted to test if higher speed processors would work. I am also wondering if it needs a bios update since the model that i have, since the laptop version i have came out before the pentium II, and has an older bios revision than when the pentium II version came out, So i believe a bios update is needed.

PM me.

Also I was wrong about the fsb, 100 mhz was also available, as there where 2 versions of the pentium II that came out, there was the Tonga pentium II core which ran at only fsb of 66 mhz, and than there was the Dixon pentium II core, which ran on 66 mhz or 100 mhz , but it could run on either , I have a dixon core processor , which is the 333 mhz one, I am wondering if the ibm thinkpad isn't compatible with Dixon pentium II's, but it says the on-die cache version, which is dixon cores only run on 66 mhz as well, wondering if wikipedia is wrong about the 100 mhz fsb.

Here is the link to the pdf for the dixon cpus http://datasheet.datasheetarchive.com/originals/distributors/Datasheets-14/DSA-278912.pdf
  • Try replacing the original Pentium II and figuring out the socket type. If the 300MhZ's processor socket type it different, it won't work.
  • ratman743 wrote:
    Try replacing the original Pentium II and figuring out the socket type. If the 300MhZ's processor socket type it different, it won't work.

it had an original Pentium mmx , with a mmc-1 card socket, trying to update it to the pentium II 333 mhz

this is the socket

32847-vulcano-microprocesador-para-notebook-intel-mobile-celeron-p000270050-01.jpg

this socket was used on the Tillamook Pentium mmx, and 2 core versions of pentium II , the Tonga and Dixon, the ibm thinkpad used the Tillamook pentium mmx or the Tonga pentium II, i am trying to get the 333 MHz Pentium II Dixon to work , I believe i need a bios update. since i have a bios revision , that came out before the pentium II model ever did

UPDATE: Some how managed the laptop to do a bios update , and the processor i installed still doesn't work and i now believe there was a separate bios version for the pentium mmx and the pentium II, Because on the bios update floppy readme on a website, it said about the pentium II and pentium mmx version and how it updated the bios based on processor version . So i think i maybe stuck with a pentium mmx processor, unless i can change the pentium mmx bios to the pentium II bios version.

This is the link for where i believe it says about 2 different bioses http://thinkpads.com/support/Thinkpad-Drivers/download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/spsdif31.txt Because of how it says pentium mmx model and than pentium II model
  • Update to problem:

Processor isn't going to work, even though the motherboards are the same but with a different bios, The issue is the DC converter board , the pentium II uses a higher voltage to the pentium MMX, so there is 2 DC converter boards,