Software 2016

edited December 2016 in Software
Just a little bit of reflecting on what has been added this year.

Winworld has added quite a few uncommon and unusual titles this last year.

Uncommon stuff like, Microsoft Project 1.00 for DOS, Citrix Multiuser 1.0 MS-OS/2, Thoroughbred/OS 6.6.2-6, funny stuff like Multimedia Cats!, boring stuff like IBM Data Edition, and Boeing stuff like Boeing Calc and Boeing Graph!

Also filling in many more mundane gaps like Microsoft Works 4.5a or Microsoft QuickBASIC 2.01. Added contributions like Citrix Metaframe Presentation Server 4.0, a number of Adobe Products, piles of the early Borland Pascal/Prolog/Basic Toolboxes, all those nice budget "Expert Software" titles, and many more.

Going from ~3645 to 4289 files is no where nearly as much as I had hoped for, but on the other hand we have purged a large amount of garbage, vastly improving the quality of the library.

And it is not just files either, I have been trying to improve the descriptions and screen shots on each product. I have been working to add hyperlinks between related products, to make for a more involved library.

While browsing the archive descriptions you may also notice an increasing number of "wanted" items. Hopefully that will give some hints as to products or versions who's existence might not be obvious.

Still, there are many gaps to fill, and many products that have likely disappeared in to the sands of time. Every day that goes by there are fewer and fewer. Even freely redistributable stuff is disappearing.

Thankfully collections are growing in size, not just here at Winworld, but at places like Archive.org, Vetusware, BA, and many platform specific web sites.

Here is to hoping for moar cool archives in 2017!

Comments

• Thank you for your efforts.

I hope that there are more good IBM PC software in 2017, too.
  • Mind if i upload some real screenshots for Windows Me? :LOL:
  • Thank you SomeGuy for your efforts. When I started coding the new site a few years ago what you have delivered content wise is more or less on point with what I was visioning for the future as I was developing the concept. WinWorld has grown by leaps and bounds over the last two years, in content available, downloads available, and outreach to new visitors. Your knowledge of these systems is truly well beyond that of Duff and I and once again, *thank you* big time for contributing that. I know you spend several hours a week for us and we highly appreciate the devotion you can put into making this such a great resource for everybody.