TI-84+ OS on vintage z80 computer?

edited January 2017 in Software
Is it possible to somehow boot the OS for the TI-84+ calculator(z80 at 15mhz, 24kb of 128kb RAM user accessible, 96x64 monochrome LCD) on a vintage computer that has a z80 in it? The only thing worrying me are the slow clock speeds (Exidy Sorcerer z80 is at 2.1mhz, ZX Spectrum z80 is at 3.5mhz). RAM is not a problem, at least not on the Spectrum :lol: .

Comments

• It might be possible if you could even get the OS off the calculator, and then hack it to work on anything larger than a 96x64 display (assuming it's locked to that resolution).

(And that, friends, is how you talk about installing calculator OS's onto computers when you know absolutely nothing about the subject.)
  • Not an expert, but my guess would be "no" for several reasons. First, slower clock speeds can be problematic, as you already mentioned. Second, the OS is made to output to a small LCD, not a graphics adapter/monitor. Third, unless you want to rig the calculator keypad to somehow retain input control, you'll most likely lose function of a few of the specialized keys like "Apps" and "Y=", which you know are pretty important.

Is it possible? Probably, but I'd bet that performance will leave a lot to be desired.
    Would it be worth the effort if it did work? I kind of doubt it.

Just my opinion, but I just don't think consumer PCs and calculators quite match up.

Sorry man. Hope someone else can prove me wrong and do it for you, though. It seems like a very novel idea.
  • Remember, it also depends on how well behaved the applications are. If they access devices directly, then modifying any underlying OS will only get you so far.

That was the problem many early non-IBM compatible 8088/8086 machines faced even if they had a port of DOS.
  • The OS is available from TI's website. The only thing is the low resolution (obviously). Any possibility of the OS from the Ti-84+ C Silver Edition (4MB storage,128k total RAM, 15mhz z80, 320x240 LCD) being run on an old PC? The keys could be remapped by modding the OS. The only problem is that I don't know z80 Assembly and I don't have the time to mess around with this stuff. I am only asking if such a hack is possible (I am not requesting any ports of any calculator OS to any PC). ;)
  • pcgeek wrote:
    I am only asking if such a hack is possible (I am not requesting any ports of any calculator OS to any PC). ;)
    Like I said, it can probably be done, but performance will leave much to be desired.