Windows NT 3.51 Newshell & Active Desktop

edited January 2017 in Software
If you installed Newshell on Windows NT 3.51, could you install the Active Desktop Update? I can't get 3.51 to work or I'd test it myself. Would it work?

Comments

• No the Active Desktop crap is very, very specifically tailored to 95 and NT 4, and requires IE 4 - 6.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    No the Active Desktop crap is very, very specifically tailored to 95 and NT 4, and requires IE 4 - 6.
    I read somewhere that you could install IE versions up to 5.0 on this version of Windows. But if you say Active Desktop doesn't work, SomeGuy, I'm inclined to believe you. Thanks.
  • You can install up to IE 5 16-bit on Windows NT 3.51. No 32-bit version of IE was ever supported on NT 3.51. The Win31 16-bit versions and 95/NT 4 32-bit versions are vastly different.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    You can install up to IE 5 16-bit on Windows NT 3.51. No 32-bit version of IE was ever supported on NT 3.51. The Win31 16-bit versions and 95/NT 4 32-bit versions are vastly different.
    Oh. Looking up on it again, you're right. I guess I would have known that if I had paid attention to what I read. Sorry for making such a stupid thread...
  • IIRC, 32-bit IE 1 (and 2?) were supported. By IE 3, it had too many hooks into the shell to make porting worthwhile.
  • On NT 3.1 & 3.5x, Microsoft stuck by the rules and kept almost everything out of Ring 0.

With Nt 4.0, they moved the video sub-system down to Ring 0 (kernel mode) - before it had been at Ring 3 (user mode).

That's all I remember.