Something that probably doesn't exist... [Read]

edited January 2017 in Hardware
Hello, greetings, etc.
I am looking for a PCMCIA cellular GSM 56K data/fax, however, it needs to be a cellular device itself, not plug into a period correct Nokia. These are impossible to find, all I see are 3G and edge modems. You are probably wondering, "Why are you bothering with cellular 56K?" Well, it has less compatibility issues than 3G/EDGE modems on older OSs, among other things. Again, I need it to have it's own cellular capabilities, not plug in to something else with cellular capabilities. Any help is usually helpful. Type of PCMCIA doesn't matter, as long as it isn't type 3.
-ET

Comments

• How old is the OS that you want to run the card on? Or, what OS exactly?
  • How old of an OS are you talking about the sierra aircard 300, 750 (maybe others) will work with 95. That seems to be one of the oldest devices like what you're talking about, but as you said it won't show up as a standard dial up modem to the host PC. You could always slap an acoustic coupler modem on a smartphone. Send pics if you do :P
  • Woah, new thought. You might be able to make an RJ-45 -> 3.5mm adapter and do the same thing as an acoustic coupler by plugging it into the headset jack of a smart phone.
  • xplus93 wrote:
    Woah, new thought. You might be able to make an RJ-45 -> 3.5mm adapter and do the same thing as an acoustic coupler by plugging it into the headset jack of a smart phone.
    Woah, 3.5mm to RJ-11(?) sounds like a good idea, actually. Who even needs a modem, when you have a sound card and appropriate software?!
    But in all seriousness, I would be using Windows 9X, and maybe Windows XP. I've seen those Sierra Air cards, are they an actualphone them self, so let's say GSM? Again, I don't want to have to plug in a period Nokia 2110, or whatever, just to get basic 56K/DATA/FAX. Also, likely a stupid question, do these devices have Speaker phone, and maybe SMS? I'm not going to replace my cell phone with a subnotebook, honest!
  • Using a Nokia of the time via IR or serial would be the way most people who did this did it.

You want SMS for service messages from the network.