BetaArchive .image MacOS Files don't work

edited February 2017 in Software
The .image files for old MacOS from BetaArchive don't have a resource fork, and so can not be copied to a floppy disk from a mac making them unusable, I have tried giving them a resource fork using PC Exchange and associating them with DiskCopy, but it did not work.

Comments

• The mac .IMG files on this site are primarily for use with emulators, or writing to disks with Windows, Linux, or MacOS X tools.

Some mac disk tools may be able to open the images if they are opened directly from within the application.
  • Why are you asking for help for a file you downloaded from BetaArchive, here on a completely different site?
  • "Why are you asking for help for a file you downloaded from BetaArchive, here on a completely different site?"

Because this site (WW) is more user friendly?

Just a thought.
  • An unfortunate chunk of the really old Mac downloads originated from there, so it is a fair enough question. A number of those even had to be purged a while back because nobody at BA ever tested their mac files and many were totally broken (compressed ndif). Either way, both archives have the same issue - many images are created by tools like WinImage or Kryoflux, and can not create resource information.

Was their a specific download, downloadable from Winworld , that was causing a problem?

If you are trying to restore/use images from Winworld directly on a real Mac, Winworld's should generally be "raw" 400k, 800k, or 1.44mb IMG files, and setting a type of "rohd" with a creator of "ddsk" (raw read only hard drive image) will permit Apple DiskCopy to open, use, and mount the file.

Other sites may still have some compressed "ndif" images files, that contain critical decompression data in their resource fork, and are unrecoverably corrupt without it.

The site macintoshgarden.org offers many downloads in Apple Macintosh Stuffit Expander format, but I doubt it possible to download directly from there to a vintage Macintosh. They block Windows 95 clients for fucks sakes!
  • I was trying to download mac os 1, I did find a ton of real-mac-compatible images at http://web.archive.org/web/200601150447 ... slist.html if you want to add some real mac compatible ones, (there are a lot)!