Downloading anything

edited February 2017 in Software
I any trying to download PC-DOS 2000. When I choose any of the four mirrors, I get the "Thanks for downloading from WinWorld, your primary source for abandonware and beta software. Your download should start shortly. If not, please click here." message and then I get the Library. Nothing ever downloads. This happen with all four mirrors. I have even tried copying the "here" link in the above message and pasting that into my browser only to get the Library again with no download happening.

I have tried downloading while logged in and not logged in.

What's up?

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Everything seems to be working normally here.

Some people have reported similar problems in the past, and this is usually due to using ISPs that constantly change IP addresses, or browser tools that fail to send HTTP "referrer" information. Both of these sorts of things will break the hot linking prevention and redirect to the library.
  • This kind of thing happens to me every time I try to download through Chrome. Try another browser.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    This kind of thing happens to me every time I try to download through Chrome. Try another browser.
    Firefox and Opera confirmed to work on AT&T (neighbor's house) and Earthlink (My house).

No idea on anything else, and while IE does work, I don't suggest using it.
  • Just at the time this first post was made, I was downloading from WW.

In Chrome.

Always use Chrome here on this site. Nary a glitch.

Wonder what your HOSTS file says.
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    Just at the time this first post was made, I was downloading from WW.

In Chrome.

I use Pale Moon and I don't have any issues either; Really, the browser you use is irrelevant.
  • 02k-guy wrote:

In Chrome.

Forgot to mention it's mobile Chrome. Only net access I have is from my phone. Android comes with two browsers: Chrome and one just labeled "Internet." I typically post from Chrome and download through Internet.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    02k-guy wrote:

In Chrome.

Forgot to mention it's mobile Chrome. Only net access I have is from my phone. Android comes with two browsers: Chrome and one just labeled "Internet." I typically post from Chrome and download through Internet.

Mobile may be your issue. Try using tethering (if available) to get your computer going instead or use Opera Mini (confirmed to work for Android 4.0.4 and 5.0).
  • PCAT wrote:
    Try using tethering (if available) to get your computer going instead or use Opera Mini (confirmed to work for Android 4.0.4 and 5.0).
    Tethering not available. Besides, generic built-in "Internet" browser works for downloads even though Chrome doesn't.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Everything seems to be working normally here.

Some people have reported similar problems in the past, and this is usually due to using ISPs that constantly change IP addresses, or browser tools that fail to send HTTP "referrer" information. Both of these sorts of things will break the hot linking prevention and redirect to the library.

HTTP referrals are actually not required. What needs to happen is that there needs to be a logged download retrieval request. This happens when you select your mirror and uses the IP address you presented to the website over HTTPS. You will then be redirected to a mirror over HTTP which will take the IP address you present that mirror and check back with the main site to ensure that there is a valid request from your IP.

Some points to make on this:
    * Naveen specifically does not have IPv6, so if it was an IPv4 site, IPv6 mirror issue that one should at least work
    * I can't account for this working with any ISP that utilizes a carrier grade NAT which can potentially switch the outbound public IP it will use at any given moment. I do not think OP however qualifies on that based on the IP reported on the post belonging to a prestigious US organization.

There is nothing specific to this solution implemented on the client side. All of the magic for verification lives on the site server and mirror servers.

The very select few times we have ran into this issue, I have not been able to have a user isolate it to a specific browser. If you have forced proxy servers in the path, that could also be a point of issue. OP if you wish to work with me further in a PM on this in your specific case here, I'd be happy to investigate. Otherwise I can whitelist your IP block on a specific mirror and we can see if the behavior goes away.
  • I though of that which is why I said that I copied/pasted the link directly into the browser. This should prevent any problems. As far as ISPs chaing addresses, I don't think that's the problem. I'm at the Library Of Congress. Yes, the one that is in Washington, DC.

SomeGuy wrote:
    Everything seems to be working normally here.

• Chrome isn't an option. I don't have the ability to install software here. Besides I wouldn't use chrome if you paid me. Well, maybe if you paid me very well. I am using Firefox. I'll give m$ie a try and see how that goes.
    BigCJ wrote:
    This kind of thing happens to me every time I try to download through Chrome. Try another browser.
  • I agree about m$ie but sometime we have to to accomplish what we need or want.
    PCAT wrote:
    BigCJ wrote:
    Firefox and Opera confirmed to work on AT&T (neighbor's house) and Earthlink (My house).

No idea on anything else, and while IE does work, I don't suggest using it.
  • I agree with dosbox. The browser shouldn't make a difference.
    dosbox wrote:
    02k-guy wrote:

In Chrome.

I use Pale Moon and I don't have any issues either; Really, the browser you use is irrelevant.
  • Tks for all the comments and suggestions. I'll give m$ie a try here as well as give Firefox one more try since I am at a different computer from where I normally sit. I'll try Firefox and m$ie form my laptop from another spot to see if I have any better luck.
  • Quick update. I just tried downloading from Firefox and m$ie. No go. I still get taken back to the Library. So, I'll have to wait and try again at another location.
  • joewill, do NOT make multiple repeated posts to the same topic without good reason like this again. This is not twitter or facebook, this is a forum. Use the "edit" button to add new content to your last post.

Since you at least typed a little bit of content, I approved them this time.