Is there an RAD tool able to make an OS?

edited February 2017 in Software
Most people involved in gaming probably know of certain tools (RAD-Rapid application development) that let you make a game by simply drawing a map and tweaking object parameters (my favorite is Kodu Game Lab). I was wondering if there was a program that could let me make a simple graphical OS by simply tweaking it's interface and selecting/deselecting features as desired?
Best regards,
pcgeek

Comments

• LOL!

No. Do your own work.
  • Like stitch said, there's no RAD tools for operating systems. The closest you can get is using a minimal GNU/Linux distro like Arch Linux or Gentoo and installing your favorite packages.
  • Making your own linux distro isn't like making your own OS, I believe. Because you just put together kerner and wanted packages made by other people. If you really are intersted in CREATING your OWN OS go to osdev.org they have lots of material which is gonna help you understand how does an OS work.
  • Making your own linux distro isn't like making your own OS, I believe. Because you just put together kerner and wanted packages made by other people. If you really are intersted in CREATING your OWN OS go to osdev.org they have lots of material which is gonna help you understand how does an OS work.

But he still doesn't even have a base understanding of how the kernel and "wanted packages" come together to make a complete OS. He needs a base foundation of that level concepts before he can move into the advanced stages of kernel creation.

Right now he's still in the elementary "I don't want to do work, someone do it for me" RAD stages.
  • I fully agree with the other posts above. You can't really jump into it by making your own linux / UNIX based OS without first understanding the fundamentals of Linux/Unix systems. Like the roll the kernel plays, process's, /proc and /sys and what they do, as well the administration aspect of Linux, and STIN and STOUT. Now you could Customize your own OS. If you want an app susestudio.com has some good stuff. I would first learn the basics in linux, maybe your local college offers a class. Thats what I would recommend or youtube for that matter. For me I would start off using debian txt install then learn to customize it through the many articles that debian and other people have posted about it. (Or Ubuntu core for that matter). Once you learn Linux inside and out then you could consider making your own Linux OS. When you get to that point check out LFS. :)
  • Ok, I was just a bit curious.
  • Best you could get would be some kind of modification program for Linux or nLite for Windows, though these typically just allow you to include specific updates / drivers / programs for when you install your operating system. nLite also bypasses product keys for Windows 7 and earlier, provided you have an already valid key to enter into nLite during creation of the ISO.

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to agree with stitch and say do your own work.

I can recommend some good C interpreters and you could always torture yourself with assembly or machine language if you're a massochist or particularly mind-numbingly bored somehow.

EDIT: I see that this thread is dead, sorry for reviving it. I'd had this tab open for almost two weeks now and just finally got around to posting.