Qemu run Mac OS

edited March 2017 in Software
Qemu 2.8 can run Mac OS9.2 , Mac OS 10.4.
?mji0z
?mjmzz

Comments

• Hmm. Didn't know they had those working. How well do they work?
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Hmm. Didn't know they had those working. How well do they work?

Probably better than in Sheepshaver or PearPC.
  • Interesting... I hope they run smoother than how they are under Sheepshaver and PearPC. Although, I've not had any major problems with Sheepshaver I have to admit (even though I've not used it again for a long while).
  • Funny, I was researching about this just yesterday! From what I've read (haven't tested anything yet so don't take my word for it), QEMU runs PowerPC versions of Mac OS X much better than PearPC does. It also supports Mac OS X Leopard, something PearPC doesn't (remember, PearPC hasn't been updated since around 2011, IIRC).

As for Mac OS 9, it seems to be around the same as SheepShaver. However, the big advantage QEMU has is memory management unit emulation, thus allowing you to run Mac OS 9.1 and later; SheepShaver has no MMU emulation and as such can only run up to Mac OS 9.0.4. Does QEMU work with Mac OS 7 or 8? I'll have to test when I get home later today.

Speaking of MMU's, Basilisk II could really use MMU emulation. QEMU doesn't emulate 680x0 processors, but Basilisk II does, and with MMU emulation, Basilisk II could run A/UX. Currently, the only emulator to do that is an obscure one called Shoebill, but that's been abandoned by its creator and the latest builds are macOS-only. How great would it be to finally have a proper emulator that runs A/UX, eh?
  • OS 9 works pretty darn well, except for the mouse, which ranges from being slightly glitchy to almost unusable. It gets better after you finish the installation. Also, there's no sound. I haven't tried OS X yet; it's a little on the large side for my poor internet connection, but I've been dying to emulate it for years and I could never get PearPC working.
    sl1fka wrote:
    How great would it be to finally have a proper emulator that runs A/UX, eh?

But then I won't have an excuse to buy a 68k Mac anymore! :(
  • Good information on this thread. Thanks!
  • sl1fka wrote:
    Currently, the only emulator to do that is an obscure one called Shoebill, but that's been abandoned by its creator and the latest builds are macOS-only. How great would it be to finally have a proper emulator that runs A/UX, eh?
    Shoebill has a Win32 port that was posted somewhere on this very site, Not sure if the links on the thread are still good.
    viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6681