Is an 233 mhz pentium MMX , powerful enough to play DVD's

edited March 2017 in Hardware
I want to put a dvd drive in my old ibm thinkpad an 380xd, and is this laptop powerful enough to play dvds? or should i just put a cd-r drive in it?

Comments

• I'd recommend a DVD drive even for older computers. Even if you can't play video DVDs, this lets you read data DVD.

Since this is a laptop, how are you connecting it? USB? That data transfer would certainly be too slow for video on this era of machine.

But look at the older WinDVD posted here, it runs on Windows 95/NT 4. Not sure the mimum CPU requirement but software wise all it requires is a video card that supports DirectX overlays.
  • if you have a hardware MPEG-2 decoder, then yes. Laptops with DVD options BITD almost always had the decoders as an option or built into the GPU as well.

Software decoding of MPEG-2 for computers BITD didn't become feasible until SIMD. (SSE, AltiVec)
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I'd recommend a DVD drive even for older computers. Even if you can't play video DVDs, this lets you read data DVD.

Since this is a laptop, how are you connecting it? USB? That data transfer would certainly be too slow for video on this era of machine.

But look at the older WinDVD posted here, it runs on Windows 95/NT 4. Not sure the mimum CPU requirement but software wise all it requires is a video card that supports DirectX overlays.

The laptop does have a IDE cd drive in it, so i was just going to replace that, and also that it needs a new drive because of I think it died, its either the cable or the drive, the drive will stop recognizing discs.
  • ampharos wrote:
    if you have a hardware MPEG-2 decoder, then yes. Laptops with DVD options BITD almost always had the decoders as an option or built into the GPU as well.

Software decoding of MPEG-2 for computers BITD didn't become feasible until SIMD. (SSE, AltiVec)

Im not sure if it has a MPEG-2 decoder, if it doesn't have one is it still possible to play dvds? I have looked at the model and i find nothing on the model about MPEG-2.
  • You can't just place any random internal CD/DVD drive in a laptop. You usually have to find one that was designed for the specific model or family. Of course, if they did make a DVD option, and you can find one, then by all means get it.

As for playing videos, all I can suggest is just trying the version of WinDVD here: https://winworldpc.com/product/intervideo-windvd/135c2

If that doesn't work then probably nothing will.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    You can't just place any random internal CD/DVD drive in a laptop. You usually have to find one that was designed for the specific model or family. Of course, if they did make a DVD option, and you can find one, then by all means get it.

As for playing videos, all I can suggest is just trying the version of WinDVD here: https://winworldpc.com/product/intervideo-windvd/135c2

The laptop is new enough to use standard IDE cd drives, which I know what the connector is, so any drive with that connector should work.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    The recommended CPU requirements for WinDVD should be found in both the readme document and the HTML product guide included with the program.

From what I remember, The minimum recommended CPU was either an Intel Pentium II @ 233 MHz or an Intel Celeron @ 300A MHz, the Pentium MMX inside the OP's laptop is also 233 MHz so it should run fine depending on how powerful the GPU is in terms of DirectX acceleration, I know some laptops had an MPEG2 decoder in the form of an optional PCMCIA card, I suppose if he had one of those it would be enough to at least get decent playback performance.

I tested this on my Slot 1 build (Celeron 433 MHz - ATi Rage Pro 8MB - SB AWE64) and it worked fine, I recommend enabling DMA on the DVD drive if you're having problems getting it to play smoothly.
  • I'm not sure about on a laptop, but my 400MHz P2 build has no issues playing DVDs at all. I even thought about using it with my TV as a DVD player/retro gaming machine, but the hard disk is too loud. You'll have to make sure that the software you will use will work on the machine though.
  • ampharos wrote:
    if you have a hardware MPEG-2 decoder, then yes. Laptops with DVD options BITD almost always had the decoders as an option or built into the GPU as well.

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Margi-DVD- ... 1725565621
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    You can't just place any random internal CD/DVD drive in a laptop. You usually have to find one that was designed for the specific model or family. Of course, if they did make a DVD option, and you can find one, then by all means get it.

I can't get it to work, it plays but its very very stuttery.
  • Yeah, you can't decode DVD in software without a Pentium 3 (and preferably, DMA) - unless you can get an MPEG-2 decoder.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Yeah, you can't decode DVD in software without a Pentium 3 (and preferably, DMA) - unless you can get an MPEG-2 decoder.

I found one of the first versions of powerdvd, powerdvd 1.5, that works fine in my computer. I could get a mpeg-2 decoder , but most of them for pcmcia work by they hook up to an tv, or a external monitor, IDK any decoder that will use your own screen.