A good file transfer software for Windows 9X and Windows 7 ?

edited July 2017 in Software
Hi,

I have two old Compaq computers, one runing on Windows 3.11 and the other on Windows 95.
They both have an RS232 port and even RJ45 ports.
I would like to be able to connect them with a serial cable or ethernet cable to my computer runing on Windows 7 (to transfer files easily)
Is there any good file transfer software that could work on either Win 3.11 or 95 ? What should I then install on Windows 7 ?

Thanks

Comments

• Well, I assume they have floppy drives. For a lot of small files you could get a cheap USB 3.5" floppy drive and move them that way?
  • Culbrelai wrote:
    Well, I assume they have floppy drives. For a lot of small files you could get a cheap USB 3.5" floppy drive and move them that way?

He meant software, like Laplink or Brooklyn Bridge.
  • I have found networking to be the easiest way to transfer files in windows.
    It will work well for your W9x and Win7 PCs. Just add a router to your system. No extra software required.
    W3.11 can be a hassel to network, but it can be set up if you have the Workgroup version.
    For W3x, I prefer to use Laplink (v4,5, or 6) in Dos Mode to transfer files to W9x in Dos mode.
    Laplink just requires a serial cable with a null modem adapter to direct connect PCs.
    I have never tried later windows versions of laplink. I don't know of a version that will connect W7 to W9x.