Cf card to IDE slower than original hard drive issue?

edited August 2017 in Hardware
I am having a CF card read issue that it's slower than the hard drive that was in it. the IDE controller is only PIO-4 , and it did have a hard drive that was upgraded and it's fastest speed when I benchmarked it was 10 MB/S, The Cf card is a Kingston 32GB 266x CF card which has a maximum of 45 MB/s read, I know that PIO-4 has a max of 18 MB/S or so , So why isn't the CF card reading at 18MB/S , in benchmark every test is coming at 6 MB/S for most of the tests? So why isn't the Cf card maxing out to the speed of the controller?

Comments

• Because benchmarks aren't everything.
    For instance, I have a 166x grocery store CF card that reads/writes faster than my 566x(think I have it right) sandisk SD card.

Benchmark says the SD is faster, and in reality should be. However, the CF card ends up as the winner through "real" testing with actual use.
    Also, your adapter may bottleneck and have latency issues depending on its make.

The 'true' way to test the CF card is with an actual cf reader.
    I'd run it through my camera and see how well it handles 8fps burst. Of course you likely don't have a digital camera that uses compactflash cards.
  • Because benchmarks aren't everything.
    For instance, I have a 166x grocery store CF card that reads/writes faster than my 566x(think I have it right) sandisk SD card.

Benchmark says the SD is faster, and in reality should be. However, the CF card ends up as the winner through "real" testing with actual use.
    Also, your adapter may bottleneck and have latency issues depending on its make.

The 'true' way to test the CF card is with an actual cf reader.
    I'd run it through my camera and see how well it handles 8fps burst. Of course you likely don't have a digital camera that uses compactflash cards.

It could be because it is on a pio-4 controller as well , it only like 18 MB/s , its a udma 6 card most likely which is 133 MB/S . Could the cf card be proportionally slowing down to pio-4 speeds? the card reads and writes at about 45 MB/S on udma 6 which is on a 133 MB/S IDE controller. 45 / 133 = about .33 , 6 / 18 = about .33 as well, I am believing the speed of the card is proportional to the speed of the IDE bus. or is it some coincidence?