Converting Old DOS® - Norton Textra Writer 2.11

edited August 2017 in Software
Hi. Does anyone know if you can convert old DOS® - Norton Textra Writer files? I have a bunch of old papers from college that I would love to read again. Is there anyway to view or convert it? I tried to download a file called Norton Textra Writer, but it wouldn't run on my Mac.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Brady

Comments

• This is a program for old DOS machines. You can use emulation/virtualization software like VMware or DOSBox, and run the program in that.

As for conversion, the files might be still readable, and the formatting is either human readable or able to be stripped out. Alternatively, the program itself or competitors may be able to convert to a format more accessible in today's age, like plain text.
  • None of MS Word, WordPerfect, or LibreOffice include a converter for Textra Writer. Nor do any of the special converter programs like Word for Word as far as I can tell.

Textra I believe used ASCII with special codes so files should open in your favorite text editor. Will take quite a while stripping out the excess characters. Unless you intend on writing your own converter, the best option is install Textra in a virtual machine, open each file and export to ASCII which can then be used in other software. Export to ASCII is the only option listed in Textra reviews.