Thoughts on Windows 10

Comments

• @whistler2250 said:

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    Just some versions of Windows 10 run fine on a Pentium 4 (I have one as my main machine). The only version of Windows 10 that I know that runs fine on this chip, is the Anniversary Update. And Core 2 Duo isn't old, old is this thing of Pentium 4, even a Pentium D isn't so old, but, a Core 2 Duo? that's not old, that runs anything.

Well, since your computer has only 1gb of ram, updates are for sure going to slow it down. Going to 4 (or maybe 8) gb will dramatically increase your performance.

Even 2GB is okay to an extent. Many new Windows tablets are equipped with 2GB RAM.

• edited February 2018

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    Yeah, but that's not old, anything older than 2008 will not run smooth Windows 10 (Since before 2008, the PCs weren't at the Vista requirements level, in other words, at the Windows 10 requirement level). And the age isn't the only thing that determines this, the graphics and the RAM matters (By your specs, I'd say your PC is mid-high system for its time, except for the processor, of course)

I forgot to mention the 1080p Monitor. I know that will definitely slow thing down.

• 2Gb of ram is ok for 32bit windows 10. for 64bit windows 10 up the RAM to at least 4Gb.

• @whistler2250 said:

@OldNewComputers said:
    If you're using old hardware, you should probably use Windows 7 with lots of services turned off, ReactOS, or Linux.

Why? Windows 10 runs fast on snappy on my old Core 2 Duo machines. Windows 7 seems a bit sluggish at times, while Windows 8 and 10 are very fast and responsive, even without an SSD. Even Pentium 4's can handle it with enough ram. As long as my hardware is capable of running Windows 10, that's what I'm going to run. The only hardware I have that I wouldn't install Windows 10 on is my old IBM Thinkpad A21m, as it doesn't support SSE2 or NX. At the moment, it has XP, but will be upgrading to 7 when I get my 512 MB ram kit. BTW, it is a Pentium III 800 machine with 192 MB of ram.

not all intel pentium 4 CPUs can run win10, whistler2250. only the hyperthreaded "Prescott" & "Cedar Mill" series of P4s (in LGA775 socket form) can run Win10 (and those CPUs can provide 64bit support). the "Northwood" & "Willamette" series of pentium 4s (which were early generations of P4s in Socket 423 & 478 forms) can not.

• @epguy7 said:

@whistler2250 said:

@OldNewComputers said:
    If you're using old hardware, you should probably use Windows 7 with lots of services turned off, ReactOS, or Linux.

Why? Windows 10 runs fast on snappy on my old Core 2 Duo machines. Windows 7 seems a bit sluggish at times, while Windows 8 and 10 are very fast and responsive, even without an SSD. Even Pentium 4's can handle it with enough ram. As long as my hardware is capable of running Windows 10, that's what I'm going to run. The only hardware I have that I wouldn't install Windows 10 on is my old IBM Thinkpad A21m, as it doesn't support SSE2 or NX. At the moment, it has XP, but will be upgrading to 7 when I get my 512 MB ram kit. BTW, it is a Pentium III 800 machine with 192 MB of ram.

not all intel pentium 4 CPUs can run win10, whistler2250. only the hyperthreaded "Prescott" & "Cedar Mill" series of P4s (in LGA775 socket form) can run Win10 (and those CPUs can provide 64bit support). the "Northwood" & "Willamette" series of pentium 4s (which were early generations of P4s in Socket 423 & 478 forms) can not.

Even if they could run something like Windows 10, the performance wouldn't be top notch. I'd personally say the minimum to use Windows 10 effectively is a Pentium Dual Core from the mid-later 2000s, such as the E2220.

• 30 Years Later
    HBS: "Hey, you FINALLY gonna move to Windows 10?"
    Dosbox: "NO WAY IN HELL."

• It's was happening with XP after the EOS. And for such time, there will be more alternatives in the OS market. Even the desktop could become something like having a VHS in your house, as there will be phones everywhere

• edited February 2018

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    It's was happening with XP after the EOS. And for such time, there will be more alternatives in the OS market. Even the desktop could become something like having a VHS in your house, as there will be phones everywhere

Phones really can't replace a proper computer.

@HorseBatteryStaple said:
    30 Years Later
    HBS: "Hey, you FINALLY gonna move to Windows 10?"
    Dosbox: "NO WAY IN HELL."

That's implying that several years later I would still be using Windows. But of course, other and better operating systems are out there.

• edited February 2018

double post.....

• @dosbox said:
    Phones really can't replace a proper computer.

True dat.

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Yeah, but that's not old, anything older than 2008 will not run smooth Windows 10 (Since before 2008, the PCs weren't at the Vista requirements level, in other words, at the Windows 10 requirement level). And the age isn't the only thing that determines this, the graphics and the RAM matters (By your specs, I'd say your PC is mid-high system for its time, except for the processor, of course)

I disagree. Plenty of my computers (budget HP Pavilion things and the like) from around 2005 work with Windows 10 perfectly, even on a mechanical hard drive. Anything Core 2 Duo and newer feels like a new machine to me.

• edited March 2018

@jamie1130 said:

@SistemaRayoXP said:

I disagree. Plenty of my computers (budget HP Pavilion things and the like) from around 2005 work with Windows 10 perfectly, even on a mechanical hard drive. Anything Core 2 Duo and newer feels like a new machine to me.

In my past experience with W10, it really does suck on mechanical drives. But then again, Windows 10 sucks in general.

• @dosbox said:
    But then again, Windows 10 sucks in general.

If there was a "Like" button on this site, I'd be smashing that thing damn hard.

• I started using Windows 10 on my desktop at work, because that's what the previous tech installed and I'm too lazy to reimage it to Windows 7. I've learned how to live with it there, but I won't use it at home for privacy reasons. I think I'll post my desktop in the Desktops thread.

• Just a note, I recently purchased an msi ge62vr. It came with windows 10 1607. Just no. Adding all the oem garbage and windows 10, the laptop took around 3-4 minutes to boot to desktop, and another 30 seconds to load the start menu. Unacceptable, especially with this machine.
    So if you do purchase a new computer, and don't do the standard wiping, I'd recommend you do it.

• @jamie1130 said:

Well, of course, you're talking about Core Duo, not about P4. The Core Duo were high end PCs in its time, so that doesn't makes sense about the earlier 2000 and the common PC with a P4.

The SSDs are faster than the mechanical drives, but any mechanical drive have a respectable speed (Since the ATA 133 ones), and more if they are SATA (150 MB/S and beyond).

@yourepicfailure said:
    Adding all the oem garbage and windows 10, the laptop took around 3-4 minutes to boot to desktop, and another 30 seconds to load the start menu. Unacceptable, especially with this machine.

Fun fact: Do you know how much it took to my P4 machine to boot to the desktop? (Without any OEM shit, a clean installation) Freakin' 15 minutes!

• Why I chose Windows 10:
    1) My dad limits my internet time to 1 hour, the shuts off my Internet via the router, and Linux performs very slowly without Internet, unless you edit the kernal or shut off the network adapter.
    2) My games run can run on Windows or the just perform better.
    3) Driver auto detection on Linux sucks, it does not install the right driver or makes the user pick one or manual install one.
    4) Windows 7 support is ending in 2 years, also it's resources hungry thanks to the Aero theme, and Windows 8.1 is garbage.
    5) Installing programs on Windows is much easier, while on Linux you have to type a bunch of commands.

• @neozeed said:
    Cygwin is way too slow. The Linux subsystem runs actual ELF64 binaries. And at full native speed as I'm not using a VM, nor do I need that terrible cygwin1.dll that is so hacky it's not even funny. Ever since MSYS I've steered so clear from cygwin it's not even funny.

8 not only looks horrible, but it's brain dead by design. They were far too late to the "actually useful browser" tablet Space. Just as Microsoft may have had smartphones back in 2002 the complete lack of attention and follow up sure showed. And 7? It's so out of date it's not even funny. Just like it's SUA, or SFU it's such an ancient BSD fork that was kept secretive for far too long then suddenly abandoned with no replacement until now.

Microsoft has lost so much brain share and so much market space it's unreal. The giant is sick. Windows was the crown jewel, but they ruined it. Now it's office and exchange server. And thanks to office 365 I don't even need an on site exchange server! Oh and the best part is that it's $9.95 a user, which is the same price as Google hosted email and "office", but MS office is way more useful than Google office. Oh and it works in China.

It's not Cygwin, it's LINUX SUBSYSTEM that is built in to Windows 10. Based off of Microsoft previous project to run Android apps on Windows and mainly Windows Mobile

• @OldNewComputers said:

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    Windows 10 has become pretty heavy: About the first half of 2017, I installed Windows 10 Anniversary update in my Pentium 4 machine, it even installed several updates (Which I didn't bother for). It ran really smooth, and with the drivers installed, it was pretty usable as an Internet-Of Things machine, I mean you could access YouTube, Facebook and WinWorldPC and so on very well. I decided to install several lightweight freeware programs which ran just fine. I had a very good experience with Windows 10 Anniversary update (Compared with Windows 10 RTM which run slow and got very inefficient). But nor Windows 10 RTM is comparable with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: It just took about 1 or 2 hours (Compared to the 1/2 or 1 hours of the Anniversary Update) to install and get to the desktop. (Even I had to disconnect and reconnect the Power because it got freezed). Then, finally, the desktop, awaiting to open the start menu, but wait, the menu got irresponsive? I click it and nothing happens! Let's task manager!, Wait, isn't the task manager now bloated too? OMFG! Let's restart manually. Aaaand, the desktop... ...again. This update just made it all worse than Windows 10 RTM, it's pretty irresponsive, the telemetry crap installs apps and I can't disable it because of the first, Microsoft Update 'eats' all my very limited 5 mbps internet, and takes a LOT to boot (I had to disble the new boot manager and set it to legacy). And the shutdown is as same as slow. I think Windows 10 has became more exigent than the specified specs, I have a Pentium 4 2.93@Ghz, 1 GB of RAM, like 100 GB of 232 GB of free space, and just the required for Windows 10, but it seems it wants the double requirements. I think the 'minium requirements' of Windows 10 are pretty far from the real ones.

You really have a good point. But anything Vista, 7, 8, or 10 (NT 6.x or 10.0) requires at least 2GB of RAM and a dual core processor (Athlon 64 X2 or Pentium Dual Core/Core Duo) to run well in my experience. Vista's minimum requirements were far from usable ones, just like 7/8/10. For such an old box, Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 is really the way to go. It's still supported by Microsoft, but will run a lot of your software.

Where did you get this information? I can run Windows Vista and 7 on the most basic model of the Dell Dimension 2400 just fine.

• @OldNewComputers said:
    Windows 10 sucks! I'll put it in a list for the reasons why.
    1.) flatter Metro UI instead of Vista/7 Windows Aero (personal, I know, but a more advanced UI is always better)
    2.) start menu with useless live tiles
    3.) bloated with useless Windows Store apps: the Windows Store, Cortana, etc.
    4.) un-intuitive split between Settings and Control Panel - keep it all in the good Win32 Control Panel
    5.) WINDOWS 10 S!!!! There is no good reason to buy Windows 10 S just like there's no good reason to buy a ChromeBook. It's useless, with no support for non-Store apps.
    6.) telemetry from Microsoft - they track you, with keyloggers, and tell MS what programs you use -- Cortana, like Siri, Alexa, and the other assistants, send what you say to them (and possibly other conversations) to MS; all data processing is server-side
    7.) forced updates

Fake reasons to upgrade to Windows 10:
    1.) Virtual Desktops. NO!!! Support for it has existed since Windows XP, and using the SysInternals utility or third party solutions, you can enable it
    2.) Cortana. NO!!! Useless, invades privacy.
    3.) Windows Store. NO!!! Fills the HD with junk.
    4.) Microsoft Edge - under the hood, it still has a bit too much in common with Internet Explorer. Dropping ActiveX is great, but Edge is too slow on weaker computers than Firefox or Chrome (or especially the Atom/WinXP build of Pale Moon)
    5.) more secure. NO!!! With intelligence and a good antivirus (Microsoft Security Essentials is my favorite), you won't get viruses.

Plus, there is no advantage over Windows 7/8.1. I hate out-of-box 8.1, but with some programs, you can reenable the start menu and Windows Aero to make it like Win7.

There is no such thing as Microsoft Security Essentials anymore, as it is now called Windows Defender. Which come with Windows 10. Cortana is just another personal buddy like Siri, Alexa and Google Now. Don't trust? Fine. Then unplug your microphone. The Aero theme has been discontinued due to it becomeing power hungry. Windows 10 S is only made for the Surface computer family, but the "S" can be disabled to allow non-store apps. Update are only forced if their is a needed sercuriy update. Microsoft only tracks you if you have usage tracking enabled. Most of the features on Windows 10 require third party programs to use on older Windows operation systems.

• @Bry89 said:
    It would only be "good" if it does away with the other crap, like forced updates and that godawful Start Menu with ads and such. Then again, there's always the LTSB version to have a try at, that was mentioned here before.

Ads? Those can be removed.

• Admin please close this thread

• @droem said:

I know they can, but Windows Update would just throw them back in again.

Also, for the last two points you gave in your original post. Windows 7 doesn't take up much resources if you have Aero turned off, like I've always done. And as for installing programs via Linux? That's not always the case, at least for me when I installed several programs under Ubuntu through its Software Centre one time. Other distros can allow you to do this the same way also.

• Windows 10 is the worst version ever!
    That's why we want a successor to it.

• Too bad... Microsoft won't do it, no matter how many times we'd like to see it happen. It's a madman's dream really.

• edited March 2018

@droem said:
    Why I chose Windows 10:
    1) My dad limits my internet time to 1 hour, the shuts off my Internet via the router, and Linux performs very slowly without Internet, unless you edit the kernal or shut off the network adapter.
    3) Driver auto detection on Linux sucks, it does not install the right driver or makes the user pick one or manual install one.
    4) Windows 7 support is ending in 2 years, also it's resources hungry thanks to the Aero theme, and Windows 8.1 is garbage.
    5) Installing programs on Windows is much easier, while on Linux you have to type a bunch of commands.

What kind of linux are you running that it gets slow when it's not connected to the Internet? Mine works just as fast offline as it does online.

Windows 7 is not resource hungry, at least, not any more than 10 is. You can turn off Aero if it bothers you. There are Windows basic themes, or you can make it look almost like Windows 2000.

I'll give you the gaming thing, and driver detection can be spotty depending on your computer. It worked great on my ThinkPad and homebrew desktop.

• @nick99nack said:

@droem said:
    Why I chose Windows 10:

What kind of linux are you running that it gets slow when it's not connected to the Internet? Mine works just as fast offline as it does online.

Deepin, Ubuntu and its flavors, Linux Mint etc. Then later on Linux won't boot or install due to "incompatible storage device' WHAT?!? So your saying s SATA 6Gbs 1TB 7200 RPM harddrive is INCOMPATIBLE?!? Oh man...

• @Bry89 said:
    Too bad... Microsoft won't do it, no matter how many times we'd like to see it happen. It's a madman's dream really.

The reason why Microsoft won't have any more version of Windows is because they are going down a different route. Instead of buying the new version of Windows every time one comes out, you buy Windows 10 once, then, that's it. No need to upgrade, just wait for a new major build to come out. I guest where that are going right is just rename Windows 10 to Windows 10.4, as the latest major build is Redstone 4.

• @Bry89 said:

@droem said:

I know they can, but Windows Update would just throw them back in again.

Also, for the last two points you gave in your original post. Windows 7 doesn't take up much resources if you have Aero turned off, like I've always done. And as for installing programs via Linux? That's not always the case, at least for me when I installed several programs under Ubuntu through its Software Centre one time. Other distros can allow you to do this the same way also.

Maybe, not always

I know but I just like install programs the classic way, double click the exe wizard and sit back and relax.

• @droem said:

@Bry89 said:
    Too bad... Microsoft won't do it, no matter how many times we'd like to see it happen. It's a madman's dream really.

The reason why Microsoft won't have any more version of Windows is because they are going down a different route. Instead of buying the new version of Windows every time one comes out, you buy Windows 10 once, then, that's it. No need to upgrade, just wait for a new major build to come out. I guest where that are going right is just rename Windows 10 to Windows 10.4, as the latest major build is Redstone 4.

Yes, I knew of that before. But remember this though... mainstream support for it as a whole ends in two years, and extended in 2020. When that happens, what now? I've been thinking about that for a while now and my head hurts every time that very thought comes in.