How to extract backups made with Central Point Backup?

This discussion was created from comments split from: archive file types.

Comments

• I have old backups on central point. I want to extract them. I have winzip & am running windows 10. How can I extract my cpbackups

• The only way to extract files made from Central Point Backup is using Central Point Backup itself.

I'm assuming you don't have a DOS or Windows 3.1 system. That means you will need to set up an emulator.

First, create sector images of your disks. Do this by write protecting them (write protecting backup disks is very important) and create images using WinImage.

Then set up an emulator with the appropriate version of DOS or Windows 3.1 and Central Point Backup. If you don't know exactly which version of Central Point backup was used, you may have to try different versions.

Not all emulators/VMs can handle backup programs well. Off hand, PCEM, QEMU, or VirtualBox might work.

Once files are restored to an emulated environment, you can use tools like WinImage to extract the files from the emulated hard drive.

If that is too much for you, you may want to seek out the assistance of a professional data recovery expert.