Can you add RedStarOS?

edited September 2017 in Software
Can you please add the Korean OS Redstar to the database?

tnx

Comments

• Isn't that still available elsewhere?
  • I found only one website that I could get it from but it would be convenient for it to be on here. People don't know what it is unless they search for it.
  • Is it abandon?
  • No, no, no. It's not abandoned. There are multiple websites that have this OS floating around the place. For those who don't know what Red Star OS is, its basically a Linux clone of a Mac that is used by the North Koreans.. It heavily reports information back, and its only in korean... Here is a good read on what it is from pcmag. Jeebus this OS makes me shutter. :shaking:

Any ways, why the hell do you want to add this dangerous piece of crap, to our pristine collection of retro applications? Like the article in pc-mag says, there are versions of this floating around on torrent sites...
  • Jesus christ lord knows what the hell's in there, and lord knows what it does.

Even if it were abandonware nobody would trust it, and with good reason.
  • With the current state the US is in, no. It's already bad enough and we don't need to help spies. And this is coming from a guy who spends his free time on the summit of a 6,000 foot mountain.
  • I would actually argue that this distro is of historic significance, and lends some technological insight in to a small closed country. But as pointed out above, like viruses and malware it really doesn't fit in with the collection here.

And as for abandoned... they are probably still running the version with Firefox 2 on two of their three working computers. :P
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I would actually argue that this distro is of historic significance, and lends some technological insight in to a small closed country. But as pointed out above, like viruses and malware it really doesn't fit in with the collection here.

And as for abandoned... they are probably still running the version with Firefox 2 on two of their three working computers. :P

I'm pretty sure the other working computer is a top of the line 5k iMac used by the big man himself
  • You could run it in VirtualBox with internet connectivity disabled on the VM...
  • can't you obtain RedStarOS from other sources?

why would you bother anyways, it's most definitely full of spyware...
  • Erito17 wrote:
    You could run it in VirtualBox with internet connectivity disabled on the VM...
    Or log it with wireshark to see what ip address's it is trying to reach. That would be very interesting to see.
  • birdy wrote:
    Erito17 wrote:
    You could run it in VirtualBox with internet connectivity disabled on the VM...
    Or log it with wireshark to see what ip address's it is trying to reach. That would be very interesting to see.
    It'll probably try to connect to the DPRK's intranet... (DPRK or the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is the official name for North Korea)
  • It needs serial number, too. Plus it's only available in Koeron and has some crazy calendar. Also, Mr. Kim might blame the US for leaking it onto other sites.