[REQUEST] hDC Icon Designer

I'm new here again at WinBoards and I found what's been missing.

Does anyone have a copy of hDC Icon Designer. I found it on eBay for $31.98 + $2.66 S&H.

Let me know if you do. :)

Thank you!

Comments

• edited April 2018

I would also like to mention that hDC Icon Designer was released in 1990 and it came in both 3.5" and 5.25" diskettes and there are a bunch of old articles regarding the product including this one, mentioned in the November 12, 1990 issue of Computerworld magazine, page 62: https://books.google.com/books?id=uq5aBOwhFnoC&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=hDC+Icon+Designer&source=bl&ots=GsnlR8FzK_&sig=Qdv2tewn48e_0pmGSnpa0OqGsO8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_9oevlK_aAhVoilQKHW05A4cQ6AEIQTAI#v=onepage&q=hDC Icon Designer&f=false

Thanks in advance. :)

• Note that hDC Windows Express included the Icon Designer and the icon libraries. hDC extracted the executable and the section of the manual to make Icon Designer a separate $60 product. Spending $30 just to get box shots and pictures of the different disk labels may not be an efficient expenditure of resources.

• @menage said:
    Note that hDC Windows Express included the Icon Designer and the icon libraries. hDC extracted the executable and the section of the manual to make Icon Designer a separate $60 product. Spending $30 just to get box shots and pictures of the different disk labels may not be an efficient expenditure of resources.

Thanks for the explanation.

I didn't know that hDC Windows Express included the Icon Designer and its libraries. $59.95 was the actual MSRP price ($114.21 today) for the separate product.

I too can't afford the product either but if anyone else has it in a separate product, let me know.

By the way, was the Icon Designer included in hDC Windows Expression version 2.11 or version 3.0? Just wondering.

• Windows Express 2.11 has one but it is referred to as Icon Editor. More limited than the Icon Designer or WE 3 version but still more capable than what MS offered in their SDK.
    The icon library exists as EXPRESS.WIL but again it suffers because the Windows 2 icons can't be as colorful as the Windows 3 icons.

The truly scarce hDC item is the MicroApp SDK. I don't know anyone who bought one; I am not sure if any were even produced.

• @menage said:
    Windows Express 2.11 has one but it is referred to as Icon Editor. More limited than the Icon Designer or WE 3 version but still more capable than what MS offered in their SDK.
    The icon library exists as EXPRESS.WIL but again it suffers because the Windows 2 icons can't be as colorful as the Windows 3 icons.

The truly scarce hDC item is the MicroApp SDK. I don't know anyone who bought one; I am not sure if any were even produced.

Thank you for the explanation. In the November 12, 1990 InfoWorld article on page 18, hDC produced the Microapp Development Kit which (required the Windows Software Development KIt (SDK) for Windows 3.0) cost $595 at the time it was out in early 1991.

And due to the price being out of reach at the time it was out, I can't remember if anyone ever bought it or that it was produced at the time.

Now as for as the Windows 1.0x/2.x icons that couldn't be as colourful as the icons in Windows 3.x and later, Windows 1.0x and 2.x used black and white 1-bit 32 x 32 icons and converting them to colour icons in Windows 3.0 or later would eventually remove the compatibility with Windows 2.11 and below.