[OFFER] Exploring the IBM PS/2 Models 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 80 (84F9577)

IBM's Exploring the IBM PS/2 Models 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 80 v1.01 (84F9577) (1ct 3.5" disk)
https://mega.nz/#!PmYCxSBA!Q8hR2UXh6BxMF19zQ0kNyw3HDq8E6vj7gtd1B2otcRE
SHA1: 3256e7663a47e11157ff10ea8a84459018736d16

When run in VirtualBox, the utility complains it's not being run in a PS/2 and quits. I don't have a PS/2 to test the floppy out with, nor do I have the means to spoof the BIOS in VirtualBox to get the utility to work.

Someone on reddit summarized it as tutorial of sorts, with the user getting a little MSPAINT-like paint tool as a reward for completing the tutorial. Digging through the binary I found "IBM MOUSE DRAW" so this must be what the reddit user in question was looking for.
https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagecomputing/comments/4muu3u/ibm_ps2_model_80_reference_disk_or_similar/

Comments

• Nice system program for IBM PS/2 series.

• edited July 2018

I believe you'll need to edit your VM's .vbox properties file to spoof the PS/2's hardware. I don't know how to do this; however, you may be able to find guides online. It is possible.

• edited July 2018

Thank you for sharing. I remember running this on my 8580-A31 about 15 years ago. It is fully graphical, very well illustrated with lovely pixel art. Shows the PS/2 as mainframe front-end or workgroups servers and stuff like this :smiley:

Edit: Actually, there are two programs on that disk. One for the 30–55SX (entry level) and one for the 50–80 (advanced). Works if you start each TUTORIAL.COM in DOSBox.

Gotta love the PS/2s. Pictured is the 8580.

And this is from the other one.

Please, use these screenshots in the WinWorld library.

• Wrote a short description for the library:

Bootable tutorial diskette for the IBM Personal System/2 range. It uses PC-DOS 4.00, but the usual COMMAND.COM has been replaced by a custom menu, which also checks whether you are running it on a PS/2 machine. Contains two graphical tutorials for a) entry-level and b) advanced PS/2 models. These can be run directly. The user gets to use a little Paintbrush-like drawing program as a reward for completing the tutorial, "IBM Mouse Draw“.

And here's the splash screen of the renitent COMMAND.COM menu program:

• the link is dead. can you post new link?