Thinkpad drivers for red hat Linux 7 pro sever

A while back I got a boxed version of red hat Linux 7 professional server this was released in 2000 , I have an IBM think pad t22 equipt with a 900mhz pentuim 3 and 256 mb of PC - 100 laptop ram , these specs are very high end for the time and the expected system was a pentuin 2 350mhz and 128mb of ram . Ok so my problem is that I can install it fineusing the manual to walk me through , can't find the drivers anywhere if possible someone knows where they are any help is appreciated

Comments

• Specifically the video driver

• Linux contains it's drivers in it's kernel. Everything on this laptop should be supported by any distribution, slightly newer than this laptop.

X11 drivers are somehow a bit more tricky, but most distributions bring a X configure tool.

What's your specific problem? If you havent tried, go installing RHEL and come back here if something is not working. I'm happy to help with linux.

• There is no such thing like "download this and install" for drivers in linux. It is always related to the used kernel.
    Some propietary drivers need to be compiled against your specific kernel, but this method came later with nvidia/ati and some other video cards.
    Even todays linux kernel includes all drivers for your system needed, I bet.

• My problem is I installed RHL7 and it was in txt mode install it asked me my video card to r option isn't there it's an s3 Savage IX 8mb

• I dont know which drivers exactly are included, which X11 implementation in your distribution.

Can you list the possible choices for all S3 cards?

vesa/vga drivers should give you at least SVGA or 640x480. They are usually used as fallback.
    Xorg includes two S3 drivers, one is called S3 for older cards and there is a savage driver.

Try "Xorg -configure".

Does your distribution include "xorgconfig" tool? Just type it at command prompt and if it works, go on.

• I can yes and what is ur native language if you don't mind me asking to see if I can communicate to u more efficiently

• I've never use the.terminal in Linux before

• native language is german.

Steps for trying:

• login on terminal as root
    • first maybe 'startx' works out of the box
    • Try 'Xorg -configure' (its not a typo, X is upper, not x lower, there is one space, one minus sign, don't type the ' ' only the words in between)

This will spit out a lot of messages and a log file, this will help IF you understand.
    View it with: 'less /var/log/Xorg.0.log'.
    If you're viewing the logfile and don't get what it says copy it on a usb stick and post it here (end of the post i write how to copy). 'less' program ends with 'q' or 'ESC' (differs from system to system), arrow up and down to scroll.

If 'Xorg -configure' does not start a graphical environment, try this command on terminal as root:

• 'xorgconfig'

how to copy the log:

• login on terminal as root
    • insert stick
    • type 'dmesg'
    • look at the end, what it says which device this stick is. if you have 1 HDD most likely it is /dev/sdb, if other use what is displayed, not sdb.
    • type 'mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt'
    • type 'cp -v /var/log/Xorg* /mnt'
    • type 'umount /mnt'
      Again no ' ' signs typing, just the words in between.

It is difficult to troubleshoot a system that I don't know what kind of software is used by this distribution, but I think we can make it.

• APPERATLY MY THINKPAD DECIED TO BREAK ON ME. SO I DONT NEED HELP

• I am downloading this right now:
    https://archive.org/details/redhat-7.0_release
    So i can install it in a VM and have a look at this distribution.
    I have been a Linux user since almost 20 years, but never had RH in my hands, I remember trying a similar one (Fedora), but since I only tried it almost all knowlegde about it faded away...

• Oh no, is it totally broken?
    Maybe you want to troubleshoot that thinkpad?

• I'm learning German I have been for a few years , the laptop I try and turn it on and the hard drive light turns on then the hole laptop just turns off

• The Ibm thnkpad works now