Microsoft Plus! 98

edited May 2018 in Product Comments

Microsoft Plus! 98

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• So let me get this straight...Only Microsoft Plus! 95 had a kids version?

• edited May 2018

@JonathonWyble said:
    So let me get this straight...Only Microsoft Plus! 95 had a kids version?

Yes. Windows XP also had a Digital Media Edition (which surprisingly still works on Windows Longhorn).

• where is the donwload button?

• Just click on a mirror to download.

• @zakm said:
    where is the donwload button?

Click on the version of the product you want, and click ricky lahey or julian

• @BF10 said:

@JonathonWyble said:
    So let me get this straight...Only Microsoft Plus! 95 had a kids version?

Yes. Windows XP also had a Digital Media Edition (which surprisingly still works on Windows Longhorn).

Yup. And surprisingly, it works on 98 (meh)/2000 (would use!)/ME (ugh).

• edited December 2018

XP Plus! works on win2k? I know that you have to run setup from the command line to install it on server 2003. It was released in 2001 (and the digital media edition in 2004) so I don't think there are any XP dependencies anyway.

The aquarium screensaver was released on its own and works on Windows 95 and up.

https://archive.org/details/SereneScreenAquariumProlificPublishing2001

Going back to Plus! 98, the theme applet is included with Windows 2000. Run "themes" and you can load any Plus! 9x (and maybe NT4 Resource Kit) themes into 2000 that way.

Windows 2000 is the OS of hidden features (themes, application compatibility etc). I don't why they decided to hide these components. It's ridiculous because Microsoft then claims that these components didn't exist in 2k and advertises them as XP/2003 features.

• @win32 said:
    Windows 2000 is the OS of hidden features (themes, application compatibility etc). I don't why they decided to hide these components. It's ridiculous because Microsoft then claims that these components didn't exist in 2k and advertises them as XP/2003 features.

They did so to have a selling point for XP, which was the consumer edition at the end. In fact, 2k was planned to be the "XP" of the 2000 (It has hidden cancelled editions like Personal, Home, 64 Bit editions), but as MS was a mess in those times, they just merged the Neptune and Odyssey teams and decided to abandon 2000 in favour of XP

• Windows 2000 64-bit for Itanium systems was released as Windows 2000 Advanced/Datacenter Server Limited Edition in late 2001 because Server 2003 (aka Whistler Server/XP Server/.NET Server) wasn't ready.

These products were quickly replaced with something based on the pre-release Server 2003 codebase in 2002 and then Server 2003 itself.

• To install Plus! 98 on Windows Me, just rename Setup.exe to something else like Setup2.exe or Install.exe and the block due to which it refuses to install is gone.
  • How do you add a ISO (i have microsoft plus cards and games)?
  • I need all of the screensavers on WIndows 10