Windows 98 Marine Edition

Many years ago, my dad bought me an old NEC laptop. When I turned it on, it started smelling like smoke. My dad bought me another one of the exact same model, but it had no OS. Then I got the idea of taking the hard drive from the broken one and putting it into this one. The laptop booted into "Windows 98 Marine Edition". The broken laptop must have fallen into the water during the time it was used by someone in the Marines. I didn't realize its true value and gave it to someone who quickly lost it. I have been unable to find any evidence of its existence ever since. Does anyone have any info about this or maybe even a copy of it? I'd love to install it on an old laptop I just acquired.

Comments

• It sounds like someone had fun and customized their Windows 98 install. I found one on a ThinkPad one time that was Sammy Hagar themed.

• No, this wasn't just a theme mod, it was most likely used in the Marines. It had its own startup logo and everything. It might have even had legal documents on it, I think it did.

• @goody_fyre11 said:
    No, this wasn't just a theme mod, it was most likely used in the Marines. It had its own startup logo and everything. It might have even had legal documents on it, I think it did.

it is possible to change the startup logo in windows 98. it is 100% possible its a standard windows 98 install, customized after for the military.

• @michaelweaser said:

@goody_fyre11 said:
    No, this wasn't just a theme mod, it was most likely used in the Marines. It had its own startup logo and everything. It might have even had legal documents on it, I think it did.

it is possible to change the startup logo in windows 98. it is 100% possible its a standard windows 98 install, customized after for the military.

If it also had its own legal documents then I highly doubt it would state it is a real edition. It seems like some modification to Windows 98 to make it look like a never released version.