Windows Triva #1

I will tell you a fact about Windows 3.1 today.

Did you know that Windows 3.1 can run on PC DOS 3.30?

Cool right?

Comments

• Well, of course you can run Windows 3.1 on most versions of MS-DOS and PC-DOS. You could also run it on other DOS versions such as DR-DOS as well, although in beta versions there was the infamous AARD code that showed an error message during setup but still allowed you to continue. Also, the minimum requirements is MS or PC-DOS 3.10.

• ok. i think i am done with this for now.

• @BF10 said:
    Well, of course you can run Windows 3.1 on most versions of MS-DOS and PC-DOS. You could also run it on other DOS versions such as DR-DOS as well, although in beta versions there was the infamous AARD code that showed an error message during setup but still allowed you to continue. Also, the minimum requirements is MS or PC-DOS 3.10.

Isn't the AARD code still in the setup program plus various other files but disabled?

• @michaelweaser said:

@BF10 said:
    Well, of course you can run Windows 3.1 on most versions of MS-DOS and PC-DOS. You could also run it on other DOS versions such as DR-DOS as well, although in beta versions there was the infamous AARD code that showed an error message during setup but still allowed you to continue. Also, the minimum requirements is MS or PC-DOS 3.10.

Isn't the AARD code still in the setup program plus various other files but disabled?

For the original Windows 3.1, yes. I don't think WfW 3.11 had it at all. Not sure about Windows 3.11 and WfW 3.1.