Windows 3.1x is corrupted in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

edited September 2018 in Software

Exactly, I installed Windows 3.11 on that virtualizer, and then, when I try to install applications that require TrueType fonts (such as Microsoft Office 4.2), the system marks a font error (it can be ignored) (by doing so the letters of the installer change), and then, I go to the Control Panel, I go to Fonts, and when I explore the fonts, it throws me errors. Also, when I open Word, the system tells me that there is little memory. And all that only happens to me with Virtual PC 2007 (whether or not SP1). Other virtualizers if they work correctly (with Windows and Office).

Did any of you have that problem? There is a solution? Or does it just happen to me?

Comments

• It's because Windows Virtual PC is a virtualizer, and any version of DOS Windows or Windows 9x isn't meant for that. Try running Windows 3.1x on PCem or 86Box and they should work fine.

• edited September 2018

I have other virtualiser programs, such as VirtualBox, which runs Windows 3.11 well (So I do not think virtualizing is the problem .....)
    1. Although I use PCem (and it works well), it's slow. That's why I wanted to see if there's a solution in VirtualPC.
    2. I do not want to use Windows 3.11 in VirtualBox, VMware, by:
    2.1 VirtualPC has a compatible screen driver in Win3.11 (In VBox there is a driver, but only for 256 colors).
    2.2 VirtualPC has i386 (DOS) functions. It makes it work like a real 386 machine

• There are a lot of variations possible when using MS-DOS and Windows 3.11. For example, which version of MS-DOS are you using, and is it WfW or just 3.11?

I have successfully installed MS-DOS 6.22 and WfW 3.11 (and all hotfixes released) into Virtual PC 2007 SP1. I can install Microsoft Office 4.3, load Word and browse the TrueType fonts without any errors.

Based on the memory error message, I wonder about the configuration of your VM. How much RAM did you allocate the VM? I'd say 8MB is a good amount.

Also, did you install the Virtual PC extensions? (You have to use the 2004 extensions as the 2007 image does not include MS-DOS software.)

Finally, before Windows is loaded, how much conventional, expanded and extended memory is available?

• Sorry for the inactivity, I was in other situations.

@AstonSmith said:
    There are a lot of variations possible when using MS-DOS and Windows 3.11. For example, which version of MS-DOS are you using, and is it WfW or just 3.11?

I have successfully installed MS-DOS 6.22 and WfW 3.11 (and all hotfixes released) into Virtual PC 2007 SP1. I can install Microsoft Office 4.3, load Word and browse the TrueType fonts without any errors.

Based on the memory error message, I wonder about the configuration of your VM. How much RAM did you allocate the VM? I'd say 8MB is a good amount.

Also, did you install the Virtual PC extensions? (You have to use the 2004 extensions as the 2007 image does not include MS-DOS software.)

Finally, before Windows is loaded, how much conventional, expanded and extended memory is available?

I am using normal Windows 3.11 and MS-DOS 6.22. I have installed the DOS extensions of VPC 2007, since in the VPC 2007 ISO they exist (I have done that to put the DOS extensions on floppy disks) (after installing MS-DOS, I put in CONFIG.SYS to load the file VMADD386.SYS) [Although if I have to use VPC 2004 extensions, let me know to try it.]

I am using 32 MB of RAM. I do not know if that will affect the system.

Conventional memory: 640 KB
    Top memory: 0 KB
    Extended memory: 32 MB approximately.

Do you use a 32-bit or 64-bit host system?
    I am using the Spanish version of Windows 3.11. The same for MS-DOS.
    I use Office 4.2, not 4.3. (I do not know if it has something to do).
    I use 1024x768 resolution on the machine.