Issues with GeoWorks Ensemble/Pro while running in a VMware Fusion DOS 6.22 VM

I am having issues with the GeoWorks images I downloaded off the site; after installation and reboot, on initial run it hangs when running "geos.bat" with "Loading PC/GEOS. . ." even after doing the fixes suggested on the site (setver, and changing the geos.ini file). This is affecting both the Pro and Ensemble. Has anyone got this to work?
https://winworldpc.com/product/geos/geoworks-1x

I used to run GEOS in the early 90s on my Bulletin Board System (OrionBBS, big BBS here in the SF Bay Area), would love to get it working again.

System info:
VMware Fusion 10.1.3
MS-DOS 6.22 VM 16MB RAM/1GB HD
GEOS 1.2 Ensemble/Pro

thanks

shaun

Comments

• I think its a known, bug, if the CPU is too fast , it does that I think

• Yes, is is a speed issue. You will need to use an emulator that lets you control the speed. Not sure if there is a way to fix on VMWare/VBOX.

• Thanks. I remember having to reduce the speed of my PC back in the day for certain games. But I don't recall the DOS utility to do that though (I remember trying to play Privateer on a then new Pentium 60Mhz and it was unplayably fast compared with my 386 12Mhz :) ...? Will do some more googlin' thanks!

shaun

• You can try a PC emulator, those commonly allow you to decrease the speed, so you can use some old programs accustomed to low speed.
    Some popular ones are PCem and 86Box. Google them if you want to give them a shot

• I also seem to remember that there was another fix - some modification of the GEOS.INI file where a parameter is set to 10000 - purportedly to make GEOS think is running in a slow PC. ??