Software Spotlight: WinSong Composer/Opus Composer

edited September 2018 in Software Spotlights

This is another title that Winworld does not quite have yet, but I have added two shareware versions that have survived in hopes of eventually finding the full version.

https://winworldpc.com/product/winsong-composer

WinSong Composer, first released as Opus Composer in 1987 by Maranatha Systems, Inc, is a music notation program that supports Microsoft Windows 1.x and 2.x. It can also play back music through a music driver program, that apparently in the full version supports MIDI interface devices.

Sadly, the shareware versions only include a "demo" of this driver program which plays back music on the PC Speaker. It would be interesting to hear MIDI coming from Windows 1 in DOSBox.

There really isn't much information about this program out there. It was sold commercially, but seemed to be targeted at a rather limited audience. It was distributed by MidWest MIDI Consultants.

It also includes a "Tape Deck" program that acts as a media player and lets you adjust channels or other MIDI properties.

According to the readme, the full version of the MIDI driver supports:

• MPU-401 (and clones)
  • OP-4001
  • Cheetah-MIDI
  • Mellotron MUART
  • IBM Music Feature

It includes several sample music files.

One other shred of information indicates it was distributed and supported on the Maranatha Software Exchange BBS run by Dave Norris.

An 1989 Electronic Musician magazine review describes the program as:

"WinSong features a professional quality music composition system with intelligent beaming, dynamics, automatic translation to and from MIDI, and laser printing with fonts. In addition, you get an easy to use 24-track sequencing program with such advanced features as electable quantization, auto-punch with markers, de-flam, and much more.

WinSongTM also includes a system-exclusive filing program for your patches and a Jukebox application, perfect for setting up "live" shows.

WinSong works with all of the major MIDI interfaces, including the Roland MPU-401 and compatibles. IBM Music Feature, and Cheetah-MIDI. And, with Microsoft Windows, you can run all of your tools at once.

You'll get better sounds too - because at $249.95 (suggested retail) you can afford that better synthesizer you've been ogling. WinSong requires an IBM PC or compatible Microsoft Windows and a mouse.

WinSong is available through MidWest MIDI Consultants (405) 736-6676"

It seems there was another, later program called WinSong for Windows 3.1, but it is not clear if it is related. There is not much more information. This program was rather specialized, and would have had only a small user base.

It sure would be neat to hear MIDI music coming from Windows 1.x and 2.x.

Comments

• Hello Someguy,

I don't know if you are interested or not but I was looking through my older Windows Software and I came across WinSong.  It is Softronics WinSong 3.02.05.  I think I bought it in the early '90's.  It came on 2 3 1/2 in floppies, one is the Install Disk and the other is labeled Disk 1.  I imaged both of the floppies and installed them in a WinXP VM.  The program worked great.

FiberInternetUser

• Yes, please do send that our way. Thanks.

• This is what you get after it is installed. How do I send the 3 diskette images your way?

• Upload the files to some file hosting service like Google Drive or Mega and post the links here

• I bought a SAMS book "Becoming a Computer Musician" at a second hand store yesterday for $1.99 and it included a CD with the WinSong Plus Composer 3.0 demo version, and a bunch of other music demo software. Installed it on an old Windows XP laptop and it works great. The demo doesn't allow saving or printing any files but composing and playing the music works.

• Hello,
    Are the links for winsong disc images still available?
    Regards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file