Latest downloads ...

... ilnk is not working. https://winworldpc.com/downloads/latest.rss just brings up a dialog saying latest.rss is a Windows Live Mail message.

Just a temporary glitch I hope.

Comments

• Firefox just discontinued support for RSS feeds. Opening the link in IE worked on my end.

• New Moon 28.2.0a1 (extended 2k/XP/Vista version of Pale Moon) also displays it fine.

• @nick99nack said:
    Firefox just discontinued support for RSS feeds. Opening the link in IE worked on my end.

OK, thanks.

• That's not the case if you're using SeaMonkey for Internet Explorer. RSS feeds display just fine.

You will eventually need a extension add-on if you want to use RSS feeds or search for standalone RSS feeds on Google.

• edited December 2018

I wonder if Chrome discontinued that too? Probably...

And if only the older browsers are still supporting it, then I wonder if an alternative can be whipped up, for the benefit of others that don't use old browsers or browsers containing older coding.

• edited December 2018

@nick99nack said:
    Firefox just discontinued support for RSS feeds. Opening the link in IE worked on my end.

That's dumb. What's the justification for that decision?

I just confirmed it though, I opened it in Firefox and it loaded just fine, then I updated Firefox, and now it prompts to download it rather than just opening it.

It seems like every new version of Firefox just wants to move all functionality to extensions... like they're building a modular browser... they just supply the core rendering engine and extension framework and users have to build everything else.

• I only opened RSS feeds in Firefox to preview them before adding them to Thunderbird. Aren't email clients and dedicated RSS readers preferred anyway?

• Would anyone find the RSS feed more useful than an HTML page? I might have to bug calvin about changing that. An HTML page would help with search engine results. Google does not index the RSS page, so I have to wait months before new entries show up in Google’s search results. On sites like Vetusware new additions show up almost instantly.

• There probably should be a latest downloads section on the homepage if nothing else.

• SomeGuy there could be a HTML page linked to the RSS, so that the RSS stays the same, but now a HTML page shows the RSS contents.
    Why keep the RSS? Because the HTML shows only in a browser, but the RSS can be shown in email clients and many other programs, so RSS is somehow universal.

• @BlueSun said:
    There probably should be a latest downloads section on the homepage if nothing else.

Simply this.

• I think we should keep the RSS feed and just add a basic HTML version also. They both have their uses.

• @nick99nack said:
    I think we should keep the RSS feed and just add a basic HTML version also. They both have their uses.

I agree with this. I would never remember to check the HTML version, but others would get no use out of RSS.