Microsoft Office 4.2

edited February 2019 in Product Comments

imageMicrosoft Office 4.2

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I've done a bunch of cleanup under the 4.2 version. If anyone sees any issues be sure to report them. Apparently, Microsoft was very "fluid" about dropping in minor updates during 4.2's life. The version of Word 6.0, Excel 5.0, PowerPoint 4.0 and Office Manager 4.2 can be any mix of "none", "a", "b", or "c" revisions. But as far as I can tell, the only thing that makes Office 4.2 as a whole "Office 4.2c" is if the setup says so!

The earliest English version we have posted has "a" revisions, but I actually have a single earlier 4.2 disk with a PowerPoint 4.0 (no revision) DLL on it. So if a full dump of that turns up, I'll have to figure out how to fit that in. It seems the "assembly number" printed on the disks is really the key to identifying the versions. Of course, no one ever includes disk scans.

Also, despite the fact that Office 4.2 was sold next to "Office 4.3 Professional" as the "Standard" version, I have yet to see any 4.2 disks or setup programs that call it that. So the word "Standard" must only have ever appeared on the boxes.