How do leakers leak old Windows builds?

I am seeing a ton of Windows beta builds that are leaked into public so it landed on Winworld, BetaArchive, and every other beta leak sites. According to BetaWiki, old Windows builds are getting leaked continuously, and has no end, because there are leakers still leaking Windows beta builds. I'm referring to Windows 2000 or lower beta builds. One of the Windows 2000 builds that are leaked recently is Windows 2000 build 1627.1.

How do leakers leak old Windows beta builds? And where can I possibly get started?

Comments

• First of all, please keep in mind that "Leak" implies that the software was provided under NDA or similar restrictions. That is not true of all pre-release software. Microsoft uses their pre-releases as free advertising. Not sure about every single release, but back in the day, one could not throw a rock in an IT office without hitting a pile of Windows 9x beta CDs.

Anyway, these days the best way to find uncommon software is to know someone through real world social networks (and I mean face-to-face talking to people, not Twatter or Facefook, people who actually worked with this stuff aren't likely to hang out on such juvenile websites.)

Beyond that, occasionally uncommon software turns up on auction sites, but once they get there, sellers usually ask a premium.

Of course, remember there are MANY software titles (and manuals!) besides "Microsoft" or "Betas" that are in critical need of archival.

• Thanks! From where can I see Microsoft's advertisements about beta versions?

• https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/833520/how-to-apply-to-become-a-beta-tester-for-microsoft

Anyone can apply not not everyone would get a beta version. This being said beta version of more-or-less modern software are not uncommon.

I would assume that "back in day" beta-testing was not uncommon, too. I know a guy who had beta version of Turbo Pascal 7.0, e.g. (long-lost, of course).

Windows betas are just so numerous because there are many more users of Windows than users of Turbo Pascal, that's all.

• Sorry for late response, but Microsoft Connect has been retired. Any other ways to apply?

• @SomeGuy said:
    First of all, please keep in mind that "Leak" implies that the software was provided under NDA or similar restrictions. That is not true of all pre-release software. Microsoft uses their pre-releases as free advertising. Not sure about every single release, but back in the day, one could not throw a rock in an IT office without hitting a pile of Windows 9x beta CDs.

Anyway, these days the best way to find uncommon software is to know someone through real world social networks (and I mean face-to-face talking to people, not Twatter or Facefook, people who actually worked with this stuff aren't likely to hang out on such juvenile websites.)

Beyond that, occasionally uncommon software turns up on auction sites, but once they get there, sellers usually ask a premium.

Of course, remember there are MANY software titles (and manuals!) besides "Microsoft" or "Betas" that are in critical need of archival.

It will nice have more beta builds Windows of Windows 1.xx and Windows 2.xx. There is no Windows 2.00 Beta leaks or discoveries. There is Windows 2.00 Beta none been found yet. In March Betaarchive found Windows 1.00 Pre-release name Windows 1.xx it Tulip Computer OEM version of Windows 1.01 release Sept 30 1985. It will nice we found Windows 1.0 Pre-DR5 Beta Build like Windows 1.0 Byte Mag. Beta Build and Windows 1.0 Comdex 1983 Beta Build.