Apparently, MacOS guests in VirtualBox only works on Apple hardware

Comments

• edited May 2019

Well, Apple's EULA prohibits running Mac OS on non-Apple hardware so that would apply to the virtualized guests as virtualbox doesn't emulate a Mac (which would also create legal issues) atop the non-Apple hardware.

My HP Z600 is similar to a Mac Pro 5,1 (except for the Quadro FX 3800 which doesn't exist as far as Apple is concerned) so I'll have to try it but I wouldn't discuss any EULA-circumventing measures until the Intel OS X releases reach abandoned territory.

• It's to be expected. Apple really don't want people running their OS on non-Apple hardware. It's not going to change.

• @Bry89 said:
    It's to be expected. Apple really don't want people running their OS on non-Apple hardware. It's not going to change.

I wonder if the reason it's like this with VirtualBox and MacOS is because Apple prohibits it by law. And I'm not saying I want it to change, I just posted this topic as sort of an inside view of something recent.

• Well yes I don't think they want to be seen as encouraging the circumvention of Apple's EULA by providing official workarounds. This could be seen as hampering Apple's hardware revenue and advocating OS piracy, putting Oracle on possibly shaky legal ground.

• What gets me is the lack of effort on Apple's part on cracking down hackintoshes.

• @yourepicfailure said:
    What gets me is the lack of effort on Apple's part on cracking down hackintoshes.

I thought they had taken enough action against them? I mean, I know they've at least known about them being made and sent people threatening letters.

• But I can still go online and pinpoint a bunch of forums and guides offering an assortment of downloads that violate the eula and copyright.

• Those are some good points there. I might as well just run a MacOS operating system in VirtualBox and see what happens. It's not like Apple can actually see what everyone does :p

• edited June 2019

(yes im bumping a 2 week old thread)
    You CAN actually get Mac OS X release from 10.5 Lepoard (Intel) to the latest macOS 10.14 Mojave WITHOUT buying a Mac from Apple BUT there is a catch.

You have to open cmd.exe as an admin (I don't know the instructions for Linux), navigate to where VirtualBox is installed to, and run the following commands:

VBoxManage.exe modifyvm "VM Name" --cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff

VBoxManage setextradata "VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" "iMac11,3"

VBoxManage setextradata "VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" "1.0"

VBoxManage setextradata "VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct" "Iloveapple"

VBoxManage setextradata "VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey" "ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"

VBoxManage setextradata "VM Name" "VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" 1

VM Name is what your VM is called.
    Where it says iMac11,3 you can change that to an model number of a Mac computer.

• edited June 2019

So, theoretically, could you run a Linux distro designed for the Mac in this modified machine?

• edited June 2019

@HontNog said:
    You CAN actually get Mac OS X release from 10.5 Lepoard (Intel) to the latest macOS 10.14 Mojave WITHOUT buying a Mac from Apple BUT there is a catch.

>

Off-topic comment:
    You know you don't have to point out the fact that you're bumping an older topic. It's totally fine to do that if you have something relevant to add to the discussion. And two weeks is not really that long ago. Just a little statement.

Anyway, that's not what this is about. Of course you are allowed to run Apple operating systems on Apple hardware, but I don't get why Apple has to have a crusade against running their OS on non-Apple hardware (VirtualBox, for this matter).

• edited June 2019

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    So, theoretically, could you run a Linux distro designed for the Mac in this modified machine?

Not sure about that.

@JonathonWyble said:

@HontNog said:

Off-topic comment:
    You know you don't have to point out the fact that you're bumping an older topic. It's totally fine to do that if you have something relevant to add to the discussion. And two weeks is not really that long ago. Just a little statement.

oof i didnt know that.

• @JonathonWyble said:
    Anyway, that's not what this is about. Of course you are allowed to run Apple operating systems on Apple hardware, but I don't get why Apple has to have a crusade against running their OS on non-Apple hardware (VirtualBox, for this matter).

Apple is mostly a (overpriced) hardware company and gives away macOS upgrades for free. If people begin to find cheaper solutions for running the OS then no one will pay $999 for a stand, let alone the actual hardware and Apple suffers

• I miss when you could get a Mac Pro for less than $3000. Anyways, for terminal applications, couldn’t you run a distro of Darwin such as PureDarwin in a VM? There wouldn’t be licensing issues but you can’t run MacOS GUI applications.