Texas computer store "Computer Reset" liquidation

Posting this in "news" because I think it is important.

This has been making the rounds on various web sites lately, a large Texas store, that apparently dealt with legacy equipment, is going out of business due to the owner's health issues and has to clear out their warehouse or throw it all in the trash.

Edit: suddenly the video is unavailable?
A 30 minute walk-though video has been posted here:

The place is a really big mess, but there are all kinds of vintage goodies in there such as Apple IIs, IBM PC/XTs, lots of PCjr and IBM convertible stuff, PS/2s, assorted terminals, printers, CRTs, plenty of 1990s Pentium era stuff, and lots of mystery boxes.

They have software too. The walk though shows lots of unopened early IBM software boxes.

I'd love to poke around in there.

Comments

• "This video is unavailable"

• Yea, the moment I post that, the video disappears.

• There are some photos posted over here:
    https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=22030

That doesn't show quite as much of the warehouse section as the video did did, probably because they can't get through there now. It looks like even more of a mess now than it did in the video, probably from all the keyboard folks picking though it :P

• Retail hoarders they were, though it's far better than stocking up on can openers or firecrackers.

To me it's proof of regional inequality in old hardware availability. They are blessed with that mess yet here it's like "if it's not a Core 2 Duo, fling it to China"

• If anyone is still following this topic, there is a recent video on the warehouse by LGR:

If you're local to Texas or heading that way, here's the group to join for scheduling/info on entering the building: https://www.facebook.com/groups/627459117730981/

• I had been following the thread on the Vintage Computing Forum: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?69913-FYI-Computer-Reset-liquidation-(Dallas-TX) but the activity seems to have quieted down.

Hopefully they will stay accessible until they are just left with a pile of printers and stuff no one wants. But by the amount of stuff, that would take quite a while.

Too far for me to reasonably travel, but I have grabbed a few things off of eBay that obviously came from there.

• That looks really cool. I can only imagine what's still in there that has yet to be uncovered. Wish I could poke around a bit but it's too far away from me.

• I grabbed a good size pile of software from there. Not a whole lot that wasn't already archived somewhere, but some. Also a lot of it was NIB or at least in the original box, so I've been trying to archive the manuals too.

• I just read on the VCFED forums that the owner of the Computer Reset warehouse, Richard Byron, passed away this past week at age 75.

It was his health issues that originally called for everything to be trashed so the property could be sold. They have not said what will happen now.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file