More Googol (YouTube) stupidity

I noticed that the counter has been removed from the in-video preview on YouTube, with only brief flashes appearing from time to time. I initially thought this was a Serpent/New Moon rendering issue, but it also happened with the latest Waterfox on Windows 7.

Sometimes it does appear, but it's very spotty.

The only logical reason for its removal seems to be a patent dispute, but even then it's ridiculously dumb. I like my timestamps and associating them with specific bits of each video, which carries some sort of mental significance for me.

Why do they even have to keep changing the UI around in the first place? I'm faking Firefox 42 to get the older version of the site UI, because the newer one is very slow on a Core Duo.

Comments

• Thank god I have YouTube Classic. Works like a charm!

• Why do they keep changing?
    Because the devs want something to do to justify their paycheck furthered by the general populace constantly wanting new new new and updates.

Despite constant changes breaking workflow habits and introducing more bugs. Looking at all of you Microsoft, Apple and Google.

• @yourepicfailure said:
    Despite constant changes breaking workflow habits and introducing more bugs. Looking at all of you Microsoft, Apple and Google.

Don't forget Facebook.

• @Bry89 said:
    Thank god I have YouTube Classic. Works like a charm!

I hope YouTube Classic keeps on working! It's one of my favorite add-ons, along with uBlock Origin and Old Reddit Redirect!

• @nick99nack said:
    I hope YouTube Classic keeps on working! It's one of my favorite add-ons, along with uBlock Origin and Old Reddit Redirect!

I'm sure it will, for many years to come ;)

• edited November 2019

They reversed the change today.

It may have been a bug, which shows how poor quality control if they can't even do some sort of lab to test the updates before going live. Unless they don't test against any Gecko-based browsers now.

• Smoogle tests and develops for Chrome-based browsers first, then tests for other platforms when they see fit.

This allows them (and countless other sites who play along) to create the illusion Chrome is better.