Need to start computer twice

So, I have a weird issue. Back in 2011, I built a computer. It has an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX motherboard inside and I forget what power supply (though I replaced it last year after the original one went bad). For the last few months, the first time I start the computer, it just sits and does nothing. The fans spin, but it won't POST. If I kill the power to it and restart it again, it boots up and runs perfectly fine, like nothing ever happened. However, once I shut it down for the night and go to start it the next morning, I have to go through the same procedure again.

It never throws any errors that I can see, and it doesn't lose track of time, so I'm not sure what it could be. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• I had an ABIT motherboard that was doing that. But I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what I did on that one. Or perhaps I didn't get it fixed.

This happens when something goes out of spec, and fails when the machine is cold. But when it heats up after a moment, it will work. I think it was either capacitors, or the CPU itself. Capacitors on video cards, power supplies, or other devices, can interfere with other things, so test in a minimal configuration with alternate stuff.

I've also discovered that "modern" power supplies are often weak on the standard +5v maximum amperage. They put all their weight on the others used by power guzzling video cards. Be sure to check the maximum wattage/amperage on each rail.

• I was thinking capacitors, as they're something that can heat up and charge quickly when powered on the first time. I'll do some testing this afternoon with alternate graphics cards and such.

• Another is a bad solder joint. It needs a little heat for the joint to expand and make enough contact.

How long do you leave it on the first time?

• @yourepicfailure said:
    Another is a bad solder joint. It needs a little heat for the joint to expand and make enough contact.

How long do you leave it on the first time?

Roughly 10-12 seconds. It usually takes about 8 seconds to POST from a cold start. If I don't hear the beep after 10 seconds, I shut it off using the power control box on my desk and switch it back on. Then it boots as normal.

• edited November 2019

Yeah, if it was me I'd be pointing fingers at the chipset. Dodgy BGA joints have been the source of many of my computer problems, 10 seconds is enough for it to warm up a bit.

Could be wrong. Next cold start after letting it sit for however long you usually do, take a hair blower (I don't know the english term) and heat up the chipset or any other possible BGA parts. Don't press down on anything just in case. I'd also warm up the CPU just to eliminate a possibility.

EDIT: That is after following Someguy's minimal config suggestion if that doesn't help. If heating up the ICs don't help, then try warming up individual capacitors or groups of them.

• I tried booting in a minimal config, disconnecting the CD-ROM drives, Zip drive, Graphics card, etc. Still didn't help any.

I'm not sure if it would be cold solder joints, because I tried leaving the computer running for a couple hours and then turning it off, waiting about 50 seconds, then turning it back on. Same thing - won't POST. Could it have cooled down enough in the 50 seconds it was off?

• No, even with the most premium passive board cooling it would take much longer for the parts to return to room temp.

Something else is off. I'd suggest a bios update and a clear cmos. Asus boards do have quite a history of board posting problems, e.g. the double boot.

• The BIOS is already at the latest version, released in 2012. I tried clearing the CMOS but it didn't seem to help either.

I may end up just getting rid of this one. Last night it was acting a little strange. I have a Dell OptiPlex 790 with an i5-2500 inside that seems just as fast if not faster than this machine. (The i5 actually benched better with CPU-Z than the Phenom II X6 1100T that is in this desktop)

I'm not a gamer, so I don't do overclocking or anything like that. I have a second 790 here with an i3 that I could probably upgrade the CPU in for less hassle than fixing this one.

• I'd recommend just leaving that board at this point. It looks like it's not a matter of it it'll fail but when.

On a side note I'm not a gamer either. But I overclock for a faster single core to boost performance when I run scientific math. A lot of it is unable to be parallel (multithread) computed.

• edited November 2019

Yeah, I'm just gonna move away from that board and beef up the second 790. An i5 for that one will cost about $35. Might jump to an i7 depending on price and what will actually work in it. My current PSU, SSD, graphics card, and disc drives will all work with it also.

Thanks for the info.