Virtual Box Additions is no more longer supporting Windows 2000.

I installed Windows 2000 on VBox (Virtual Box). When Windows 2000 make the first boot, i insert the VBox Additions CD into VM. The installer showed up. When in installing, while "Executing C:\Program Files\Oracle\VBoxDrvInst.exe..." it stops. If it's fixable, any comment will be aprecied.

Comments

• Did you install SP4? Guest Additions requires SP4.

• Yes. I installed SP4. But i got an older version of VBox additions and now works perfect.

• edited February 2020

The newer guest additions have been dropping support for lots of things. I believe that Vista no longer gets WDDM drivers in the newest releases, but older ones continue to work.

Seamless support was also disabled in win2k guests in a earlier release.

• Huh, weird. Sounds like there's not much of a reason for me to use it anymore. I do have a VirtualBox VM at work with Windows NT, but otherwise I use VMware now.

• I also never got USB passthrough to work in a win2k host, even the officially supported 1.5.x versions. Only real advantage is that it's much faster than VMware for me.

• Of course VMware is payware. VMware Player is free, and lets you run an existing virtual machine only. To make a VM though with VMware requires you to pay a HUGE sum of money (hundreds of dollars, if I remember correctly). For hobbyist usage, that is a no-go. Only a business that REQUIRED it for their operations would toss out that much money. Suffice to say, I'm sticking with VBox for now. Is it possible to use an older version of VBox Guest Additions with a newer version of VBox, and get the same Win2k guest additions support in a newer version of VBox?

• You can make VMs using VMware Player. I think that limitation is only specific to the earliest 1.x/2.x versions (3.1.x lets me do it).

Yes, it is possible to use older Guest Additions to regain lots of the features they've been dropping.

• Well, I'm thankful that I got my Win2000 VM's .vdi be converted into a .vhd for VPC 2007, and that was years ago.

By this, that's another I won't be using VirtualBox again, other than the bloat and that for every new version of it released, you have no choice but to download its installer (which is megabytes huge) and run it manually.

• @Bry89 said:
    Well, I'm thankful that I got my Win2000 VM's .vdi be converted into a .vhd for VPC 2007, and that was years ago.

By this, that's another I won't be using VirtualBox again, other than the bloat and that for every new version of it released, you have no choice but to download its installer (which is megabytes huge) and run it manually.

If the version you're on is working well, and you're not worried about having the latest version (which seems to be the case if you're still running VPC 2007), why even bother downloading the update?

I haven't noticed any bloat. It's actually pretty lean IMO.

• @nick99nack said:
    why even bother downloading the update?

I dunno... force of habit I suppose. Then again, I last used VirtualBox over two years ago.

• Can someone leave a link to a version of guest additions that works with Vista? Thanks in advanced!

• Well, the 6.1 version works with Vista. Windows Vista may not be installed correctly.

• Hm, got it. Thanks for the info.