A buggy Windows 10 deletes files... again

https://www.howtogeek.com/658194/windows-10s-new-update-is-deleting-peoples-files-again/

I've really lost count on how many buggy updates 10 had since its inception almost five years ago. I'm also beginning to think that these days, the developers don't even test updates before releasing them.

The update in question is KB4532693 so if you happen to see it, don't install it. Even if you do or if it's installed automatically because Microsoft practically owns your machine, you can use Recuva to get your precious files back.

Just wanted to bring this to everyone's attention. By this, it's another reason why I will never use the OS. Ever.

Comments

• I didn't get that update. It must not have been applicable for LTSC 2019. I got KB4532691 instead. I've been saying for a while now - the regular releases are practically beta versions. The LTSC releases are stable.

• edited February 2020

How funny. I used 1903 Education earlier today, and most of the system tray icons were missing!

Most gaming benchmarks I've seen now put 10 above 7 for D3D11/Vulkan titles, but it's just a big kluge in many other areas.

• The low QC of updates. Geez. And Microsoft knew about it... again but still leaves it up to be forced onto unsuspecting users. Hopefully this is yet another lesson for users to maintain refular backups. And not on the "cloud."
    And yet another reason why developers need to start R&D on other platforms such as Linux. The world really needs to move off of this platform.

• @yourepicfailure said:
    but still leaves it up to be forced onto unsuspecting users.

I thought people can have full control over updates now. Unless, the novice don't know how to.

• @yourepicfailure said:
    The low QC of updates. Geez. And Microsoft knew about it... again but still leaves it up to be forced onto unsuspecting users. Hopefully this is yet another lesson for users to maintain refular backups. And not on the "cloud."
    And yet another reason why developers need to start R&D on other platforms such as Linux. The world really needs to move off of this platform.

Not sure what the cloud has to do with this. And actually, if you used cloud sync, you could recover your files easily from bugs like this.

As far as updates go, I'm not really sure if 10 has more problems or not. I mean, it certainly feels like it does... but then, I remember having loads of issues with updates on 7 and certainly Vista. And XP's update system was terrible. But through most of my time with XP, I just didn't install updates. It wasn't until the later years that I started updating.

Honestly, I really just think that Windows is Windows at this point. I've been around long enough to know that people bitch about literally every version of Windows that has ever been released and I also know that they all have their weaknesses and strengths.

• @Bry89 said:
    I thought people can have full control over updates now. Unless, the novice don't know how to.

Nope. You still can't turn them off.

@yourepicfailure said:

Linux has a long way to go before it's ready for everyday use, especially with regard to networking and domains. With Windows, I can join a computer to a domain and have a ton of settings set automatically, as well as managing logins. Linux really has no equivalent. There's also the issue of all the Windows software out there that would suddenly be useless. A good portion of the software and hardware I depend on is no longer made, and the companies have gone out of business.

I use linux pretty often, but I'll be stuck in a mixed environment for many years, if not the rest of my life. Windows can be good - Windows 2000 was about perfect. If it was optimized for modern hardware, it would be even better.

• Updates can be deferred with Win10 Pro. And even better, Store Apps won't be automatically updated unless commanded to. Store Apps tended to need a lot more bandwidth than the OS patches. Took MS a long time to realize that most users do not have the same networking ability as the MS campus.

Most of the bugs in the updates seem to be bad ideas rushed through to skip even the limited amount of testing MS still does. Even if the code worked, it doesn't seem to be code anyone wanted. Some bugs I am not sure how they could happen if the public reports of the cause were accurate. A patch for boot problems on HP laptops with AMD CPUs should never touch desktop icons.

• In terms of quality control, I bet Apple's dealt with that much better for whatever updates they bring out. That can also be said for Canonical and the like.