What does it mean when a program needs a "redump", and will it work without a redump?

I came across a few programs that said "needs a redump" in the description. What is a "redump", and will the programs work without a redump?

Comments

• some of the files are corrupt on the disk

• Redump means to re-copy all of the information, using the proper tools, from original media. The term is probably more commonly used with ROMs.

If something is marked as needing a redump, that means it is incomplete or altered somehow.

For example, if an archive only includes files that were installed to a hard drive, rather than original disk images, then it needs a redump. It might work in some cases, but it may be missing things that someone else installing it on another system would need.

Redumps may be needed in the case that file time stamps are borked, ISOs that were created by burning a set of files rather than dumping directly as ISO, copy protected disks that won't run due to missing protected formatting, and stuff like that.

In some cases it could mean some part is corrupted, although winworld usually only hosts such files if there is a good reason to do so.

Was there some specific file you had questions about?

• Thank you for replying! I do have some specific files but I don't need them, so you don't have to spend your time on this. But thank you!